recalibrate with different source?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by allan espinoza, Jan 28, 2005.

1. allan espinoza

allan espinoza Stunt Coordinator

Do you need to calibrate each source you use such as dvd player, xbox or ps2 and cable? Do you need to recalibrate if you get a new dvd player or are your picture settings set for anything you throw at it? I have each source through a different video input and was wondering if your monitor's picture should only be adjusted once and used for each source whether you are using a new source or not? Video calibrating is pretty complicated and i would hate to have to do each time I switch from using a different source.

2. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    I have calibrated for each TYPE of input, component, s-video and RCA, but not every input. So if I moved my DVD from one component input to another, I would not recalibrate. I have four memory settings for adjustments so when I switch input, I switch the mode to the setting for that input.

If I change source equipment for that input, I recalibrate, which doesn't happen very often.

3. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Not just each type, but each resolution that the TV supports for that input type.

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

The calibration can and often does change when you change players. I know quite a few people who have compared the Pioneer 59AVi and Denon 3910 players in their own systems. They do not calibrate the same.

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Absolutely you need to calibrate for each source.

The caveat is for digital transmission, like DVI, if the source device is functioning properly, the levels should remain the same universally. But of course, you won't know if a unit is functioning properly unless you run patterns through it and see.