Rec: VCR for dubbing to DVD

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Mike Dzurko, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Mike Dzurko

Mike Dzurko Stunt Coordinator

I have a ton of old VHS family tapes that I want to bring into my computer, edit, and burn to DVD. Looking for recommendation for a good VHS unit for this task. Any available with S-Video out instead of composite? Used is okay. Thanks!

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Only Super VHS VCRs have S-video connections. I believe JVC's top-of-the-line models have some digital processing that cleans up old tapes somewhat, but I'm not sure if you want to spend that kind of money on "old" tapes.

3. Mike Dzurko

Wayne:

Thanks for the input. Much appreciated. The tapes are mostly of the family/kids years ago. I guess I don't want to spend a fortune, but I do want to get good video quality. I tried a low-end JVC and wasn't real happy with it. I was thinking that there might be certain used models that offer good video but aren't too expensive.

Questions for Wayne or anyone else:

1) Will the S-Video connection on S-VHS improve the video quality of standard VHS tapes?

2) Any great S-VHS units that sell in the $100-$200 range used on Ebay-Audiogon etc? Thanks!

4. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

For regular VHS tapes, you don't need s-video. Get a good VHS player and add an external time-base-corrector unit for the best video possible from VHS tapes.

5. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    1) No.
    2) It won’t be hard to find a used top-of-the-line JVC for under $200. Most of them have a time-based correction processor built in (don’t know how it will compare to an outboard unit, though). Look for an HR-S7600 model or later (7700, 7800 etc.) or a HR-S9xxx model.

6. Mike Dzurko

Don, Wayne:

Your ideas are very much appreciated. I've got some research to do . . .

7. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

8. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Mike,

Go to Sears and buy a Sansui DVD/VHS recorder for $400.00. It's an all-in-one unit; it can do VHS>>DVD and DVD>>VHS one touch dubbing. I purchased one to help my mom put her figure skating recordings (off of TV broadcast, not of my mom ice-skating) onto DVD. The Sansui will play CDs, MP3-encoded CDs, and I believe VCDs as well. It's the only one out there with all these feature. Check it out. [​IMG]

9. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

I think if you are concerned about video quality something with DNR will noticeably improve the picture. I have the JVC 7500 that has DNR and it does wonders to not only SVHS recorded video but it does a good job on standard VHS recordings as well. For me that would give you the best possible picture for your Recorded DVDs.

10. Mike Dzurko

Danny:
    Thanks, it is a great idea, but I've spent a fair amount of time getting the whole digital editing/burning thing working in a PC. And, I want to do a fair amount of editing before burning.

Jerome:

Thanks!I'll do some checking on those units. JVC seems to be pretty popular around here. The $69 JVC I picked up at BB was disappointing in terms of quality. I'm thinking an older, higher end model on Ebay or such makes more sense.

Keep the ideas coming!