Rebuilding some old speakers

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Robert Garrison, Jun 25, 2004.

1. Robert Garrison

I recently (about a year ago) came into some RadioSHack speakers that must be at least 30 years old. They were still in their original cabinet but they sounded horrible (to me at least). A friend gave me 2 new 8" woofer to put in along with 2 new tweeters and 2 midranges to add to the cabinet. What I want to do is really investigate how to make it sound nice. I wanted to use some speaker design software to help but I cannot seem to find some that works well. I'm looking for free software by the way. Demos don't bother me as long as they're not crippled and useless. I tried boxplot, it seemed to be working out but it kept losing me and my data.

--Robert

2. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

There a tons of freeware speaker design apps here
    http://www.pvconsultants.com/audio/frdgroup.htm

Problem is that to design a proper box and crossover, you need to measure the frequency response of each driver when they are mounted in the box. The test equipment to do this costs a couple hundred dollars

Also, the software doesn't tell or teach you how to design. It only makes the design process easier than using a calculator and a ton of formulas.