What's new

REbuilding a sono sub (1 Viewer)

Robert Silge

Agent
I was wondering if anyone had any advise on the best way to take apart and rebuild a sonosub. When building mine a stupid math error (should have paid more attention in high school algebra I guess) forced me to stick my ports out the top instead of setting them flush (if I remember I cut them too short).
I was thinking of removing the top and replacing the PVC pipes with longer ones. I doubt there's a good way to remove just the pipes, so my options as I see them are:
Cut the tops off and then add pipe to the inside with a female-female joint. Not sure what this would do to the effectiveness of the port though. May not be the best idea.
Cut the top MDF off and rebuild that part and replace it with a new one.
For both of these I need to remove the top double layer of MDF and the only way I can think to do this is to cut the sonotube with a utility knife and recalculate all my volumes for a slightly smaller tube.
Any better idea?
------------------
-Rob
My meager collection:
www.dvdtracker.com/~lazarus.asp

Kevin Beck

Stunt Coordinator
Robert,..
You mentioned the tubes are sticking out the top. Cut the port off flush, run a Dremmel tool around the inside of the port below the cap thickness, jigsaw or sawsall a couple relief slots in the remaining material, and pop out the halfs. I think you could get away without dremmeling off the bottom first, but that would make it a heck of a lot easier.
Just a thought,...I have had to do this in other situations not related to audio.
Kevin,...>>>--->

Robert Silge

Agent
This is a good idea, there's just a couple of points I don't quite get.
The way I'm picturing what you're suggesting, it seems the half inside the tube would fall into the sonotube. Are you saying to dremel the PVC pipe, or the MDF around it? I have in mind that you're saying to cut the pipe with a dremel just below the level of the MDF.
------------------
-Rob
My meager collection:
www.dvdtracker.com/~lazarus.asp

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks