What's new

Rebuilding a Paradigm System: Calling the Paradigm faithful (1 Viewer)

Michael De Costa

Stunt Coordinator
Recently I had a fire and lost everything. The only good thing that came of this mess, is that I was able to rebuild my Home theater system. What adds to the loss, is I had just purchased a set of Titans and the cc170. Well, at least I can now upgrade! I only was to spend about $1,500 without getting a Paradigm sub. I was thinking the CC370, a set of Ref front's in the front but not sure which and either the Titans or ADP's in the rear. They will be powered by the Denon 3802, another good purchase from this mess. Looking to see how you may have your Home Theater configurations set up, and the sound quality they produce. Thanks for any info.
------------------
At my singnal, unleash HELL.......

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Michael,
If your going to get the Ref's for the front speakers make sure you get Ref's all around as well. You want good tonal and timbre matching with all your speakers and Paradigm doesn't necessarily guarantee this across lines.
If your going for a CC-370 then stick with the monitor series. If you want to get Ref's for the front like 40's or 80's if you don't have a sub, then go for Studio ADP's and the Studio CC as well if you can afford it.
Patrick
------------------
If you live in Vancouver, B.C. or the surrounding areas, take a look at the Local Home Theater Forum Meets section for a Vancouver meet.
My DVD Collection

CarlS

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Studio/20s in front, Studio/CC, ADP/70 surrounds(haven't gotten around to updating those yet), and a Velodyne SPL1200. I am extremely happy for now...
My plan is to eventually aquire a pair of Studio/40s and move the 20s to the rear.

Mike Wang

Auditioning
My budget was about the same as yours, and music is important to me, so I wanted to spend more on the front speakers, even at the cost of timbre matching. I ended up with three Studio 20s across the front (with a shielded model for the center), with two Mini-Monitors (which were my mains pre-upgrade) in the rear. Of course, it would be nice to have Studios all around, but I put the cost difference toward an SV Subwoofer, and that was a much more significant improvement. I drive them with a Denon 3300 and I couldn't be happier. If you're not as concerned with two-channel music, you can go for better HT timbre matching by going for the CC370, Mini-Monitors all around, and still have enough left in the budget for a good subwoofer to fill in the low end. I love my Paradigms, but you might want to audition some other speakers while you have the chance. It's not often we get the chance to completely start over with a new system, and once you decide on a brand of speaker it's hard to change due to matching issues. Good luck.

aaron campbell

Second Unit
Hi Michael, I would get 4 pairs of minis, two pair shielded, for fronts and center. The 3802 does support 7 channels no? This would be killer ht!
Aaron
------------------

Steve_D

Second Unit
Ideal = Studios all around
However, as another poster suggested, try and spend your money on the best improvement for the buck. For instance, I had a "spare" $850. Hmmm, what is my weak link? My Denon DD only AVR85 so I bought a Denon 3801. I had another spare $550, what is my weak link? Here comes the SVS sub. I had another spare $1000, added B&K Ref 4420 amps for the front 3 + sub. Note IMHO all these upgrades were more important than upgrading my rears to match my Studio 40 front 3. After my Progressive Scan DVD/SACD player will finally come matching Studios for the rear.
Obviously, you have to decide what is most important, or most lacking in your system. I decided improving 2 channel audio was more important for now than adding the prog scan DVD + Studios for the rear. Others would make a different choice.
------------------
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks