What's new

Reba DVD reliability? (1 Viewer)

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
I've been watching Reba on Hulu and saw the first four seasons at Wal-Mart for $20. That's a pretty good price but I read they were double sided discs. I was just wondering if anyone that has purchased them has had any of them fail?

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The first four seasons are three DVD10 type double-sided flipper discs per season set.

DVD10 are single-layered on each flipper face. Basically the same format they used back in the late-1990s -> early-2000s, which had the widescreen cut of a movie on one side and the pan-and-scan fullscreen version on the other side.

Depending on how one watches such DVD10 flipper discs, it can be a minor annoyance to catastrophic. YMMV.

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
The first four seasons are three DVD10 type double-sided flipper discs per season set.

DVD10 are single-layered on each flipper face. Basically the same format they used back in the late-1990s -> early-2000s, which had the widescreen cut of a movie on one side and the pan-and-scan fullscreen version on the other side.

Depending on how one watches such DVD10 flipper discs, it can be a minor annoyance to catastrophic. YMMV.

Thanks, do you know if they can fail if handled carefully?

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Probably not much different than any other flipper disc manufactured by Cinram.

Fox had manufactured their dvd and bluray discs at Cinram for a long time, until recently.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I don't know what the long term failure rate is for such flipper discs, whether manufactured by Cinram (ie. Warner before 2010, Fox, etc ...) or Technicolor (ie. Universal, Warner after 2010, etc ...).

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
FWIW I've never had any issues with my original Reba season sets. But I've only viewed them once after purchasing. I need to watch it again - it's a fun show.

Historically, I've had no more issues with DVD10s than any other single-layer disc. If you handle them properly and return them to the case after playing, as you should with any disc, they're no more or less prone to scratches than other discs.

Reliability of DVD18s is another story...

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The final two seasons of Reba used DVD14 type double-sided flipper discs, where one of the DVD14's flipper faces is dual-layered while the other side is a single-layered.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The final two seasons of Reba used DVD14 type double-sided flipper discs, where one of the DVD14's flipper faces is dual-layered while the other side is a single-layered.
Oooo... That can be bad. I've had pretty good luck with most DVD14s - unless they came from Fox. A couple of their series took several replacements before receiving copies that played properly. But... other series from them have never given me problems. Reba, being a Fox release, now has me a bit concerned... at least for those two seasons.

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
I had to rebuy Season 4 due to freezing and pixilation issues. Luckily, all my REBA purchases were from a bargain bin, so I only had to shell out another $10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks