Reasonably-priced scanner with transparency adaptor?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Joe Reinwald, May 19, 2003.

1. Joe Reinwald

Joe Reinwald Stunt Coordinator

Anybody have any recommendations for a decent priced scanner, no more than about $175 or so? I'm looking for, more than anything, a good resolution (though I think anything fairly new will have a good enough res) and an adaptor for 35mm negatives. Another huge plus would be an ieee 1394/firewire connection.

I've taken a look at places like Best Buy just for the sake of hands-on looking, but I have to admit I don't know much about them...

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Joe

2. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

The Epson 1250 scanner I think has a transparency adapter option. It's one of the best scanners out there, at least in terms of color accuracy (according to www.dpreview.com forum posts and some reviews I've read on the internet. I have an Epson 1200U myself, which is almost identical). 1200 DPI resolution, which is more than enough for most applications.

3. Alf S

Alf S Producer

Alfer
    My Microtek Scanmaker 4800 came with a free transparancy device and the cost of the whole thing was under $100.

Makes great scans too.

4. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Oh yes, be aware that scanners advertised as 4800 DPI do not actually scan at that rate. 4800 DPI would be the interpolated resolution, not the actual optical scanning resolution. The majority of new flatbed scanners are actually 1200 DPI, and a few support true 2400 DPI.

5. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

Also be aware that pretty much any budget priced scanner isn't going to give the best results when doing transparencies. I've got various MicroTek units at work (4850, 5600 IIRC) and I've scanned a few slides. Worked fine for my purposes, but not as well as a dedicated unit. If you're transparancy scans are for any kind of print work I'd shy away. And yes, the optical resolution is definately what you want to look at.

My favorite brands are MicroTek & Epson. If you can try one before you buy so much the better. Some of the software interfaces suck. I am happiest with the MicroTek software in advanced mode.