What's new

reasonably priced recievers (1 Viewer)

Larry Hoffman

Stunt Coordinator
This is a continuation of my previous post regarding under $500.00 Cdn. recievers. I'm starting a new post since I am interested in feedback on two units I didn't mention before.
Future Shop,(now owned by Best Buy, by the way), has the JVC RX-8000VBK at $399.99,(clearance item, I can get the display unit, which has never been used, for only $350.00), also I can get the Sony STR-DE845 for $450.00, (replaced by the DE875).
Please give me your opinions on these two units.
Thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!
Larry.

DaleB

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know if you considered a NAD T751, you might get one of those around $500. DD, DTS, and lots of power, even for low impedance loads, and sounds better than the average receiver when it comes to 2 channel music listening.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Larry,
Have you considered the Outlaw 1050 for (according to their site) $499 US and Canada.
It's a really nice receiver for the price. http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/1050.html
Just a thought....
Alfer
------------------
Check out my new Home Theater site and my NEW HT 6.1 Pic's at Link Removed
Join my new Yahoo "Club Enormodome" for LIVE HT and DVD chats at: Link Removed

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Larry,
To be honest I would stay away from JVC and the Sony I would have second thoughts about. I believe both state their ratings not over the 20-20 range for all 5 channels driven. If your interested there is someone on the Toronto Newsgroups selling a Yamaha R-V905 for $500OBO. Here is a link to the reciever. E-mail me and I'll give you his e-mail address
Kevin
http://www.yamaha.com/cgi-win/webcgi...AVR00010R-V905

Vin

Supporting Actor
Larry, for $300 you can get a Kenwood VR-507. It's power rating (which is questionable, but this can also be said for some of the other more popular brand names) is 100 watts/channel. It does DD, DTS, DPL II and Circle Surround. In addition, it has 4 S-video inputs and a very good learning remote (although I prefer the backlit Radio Shack 15-1994). If you need component video switching and an RF remote, check out the VR-509 for $400.
I'm sure you've noticed that Kenwood is often included in the list of "receivers to avoid" along with JVC, the Sony DE line, Technics, etc. IMO, that's unfortunate and I'll bet most of these recommendations are made by people that haven't heard any of the receivers Kenwood has been putting out in the last couple of years.
So, my recommendation is that you also consider the Kenwood VR-507/9. It offers a tremendous bang for your buck and is definitely a worthy contender in the $500 and under price range.....IMHO.
Just my $0.02 worth.
------------------

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
I'd steer clear of the Sony
I have (well actually had) the str-de825 (I'm assuming a similar receiver) and it just finished a two year tour of duty. The thing was in the repair shop about four times during that stint and finally I think it's time to let it RIP.
I'd recommend the Outlaw, or maybe a Pioneer vsx-510s. The 510 can be found at most B&M's in canada for just over $500CDN.
You can get an 810s for about $350 american if you look hard on the internet.

Chip E

Screenwriter
I'd stay clear of JVC at least(J-Junk-V-Video-C-Corporation).... Sony, ehhh, i wouldn't go that route either (had a 444ES, didn't care for the sound with music, HT wasn't bad) Try a low end Onkyo or Denon. (495 or 1801)
- Chip
------------------

Larry Hoffman

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you all for your advise. I really appreciate it.
I have a lot to think about, the Outlaw and Yamaha both look like excellent possibilities and the Kenwood has a lot of extras that the others don't have. I also must consider the fact that the JVC RX-8000VBK sold for $550.00 Cdn. and is only $350.00 for the display unit at Future Shop. I'll have to look into it a bit more since a few of you have heard bad things about the JVC recievers. The price is very enticing though and it has a 2 year warranty.
I'll definitely check out the units you all recommended before making a decision.
Thanks again for your help!!!!!!!
Larry.

John Di Lauro

Stunt Coordinator
Larry,
Check the reviews on audioreview.com - there are actually
quite a few very positive comments about the JVC and Sony receivers.
They are most definitely not high-end gear but for the money they seem to be quite good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks