What's new

Reason for Canadian only releases?.... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I noticed on the www.tvshowsondvd.com website that "Riptide" is being released in Canada. I have seen a few other American & Canadian shows released in Canada only. I am just wondering why the studios do this? I know if a Canadian company has the rights they can do what they want. But, I am surprised that the American rights holder/studio would allow one country to release and not the other...especially when they are both R1. Anyone in the US that wants "Riptide" can order it. Thus depriving the American rights holder and even American retailers(or etailers) its sales base.

Hopefully, someone can answer this.

**This does not apply to tv shows released outside R1.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Todd, this usually happens when two (or more) different companies own the rights to a show. Canadians have seen this happen many times, but in reverse. There are a number of shows from Sony, Paramount, and Universal that we haven't gotten released here because the big companies in thew US don't have Canadian rights to the shows in Canada. I think Cannell must own Canadian rights, but not US rights, so they've licensed these Canadian rights to VEI while the US company is sitting on them. While it's annoying for people in the US, at least the titles can be ordered through Amazon.ca.

Here are some of the titles not available in Canada:
The Amazing Race
King of Queens
Kate & Allie
Gimme a Break!
Charles in Charge

I think there was a title from Warner as well (and that list is far from complete).

Gord

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

I thought Universal produced this show.

All in the Family is another one, I believe. The Canadian TV rights are with Paramount, because Norman Lear sold the syndication rights to Viacom years before his company was sold to Coca-Cola/Columbia.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

I think you answered your own question. Where there are split rights whoever owns the Canandian rights can do what they want. The American rights holder has no say in the matter so it isn't a question of "allowing" or "denying". The rights-holder in each terrority calls its own shots and a third-party in another country doesn't get a vote, same region or not.

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks