Rears to match Paradigm Monitor 7's

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Larry J, Apr 24, 2004.

1. Larry J

Larry J Agent

I have a Denon AVR 3803 receiver with Paradigm Monitor 7 series, matching center and a Polk 10" sub. I'm want to add rears (four speakers for 7.1) and want to know if I have to stick with Paradigms. Can anyone offer suggestions?

2. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

You don't have to but of course that would gaurantee the best match. Maybe 4 mini-monitors, 2 mini-monitors and 2 ADP-170's for the side, four ADP-170's. If your budget is larger some ADP-370's in place of the 170's and Monitor 3's instead of the mini's.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Personally, I wouldn't bother with ADPs, and go all Minis, but if you have a large enough room to side mount the ADPs along side the listening position, then they should work fine. ADP 170s match the Performance line, you would need ADP 370s to match the 7s.

No offense, but I would lose the Polk sub.

4. Larry J

Larry J Agent

Any suggestions for the sub?

5. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Larry, like the other have suggested, you might want to stick with Paradigm for the speakers you are looking for. After all, you could end up spending more for the surrounds from a different manufacturer and then realize that the sound isn't as good as you wanted. However, keeping the speakers matched with Paradigm would be a good move. Also, don't forget the used market on these products. You should be able to find some great deals on the speakers you are looking for to handle the surround sounds.

Finally, I heard a pair of Monitor 7 (v.3) speakers yesterday. Very impressive sound. [​IMG]

6. JamieS

JamieS Stunt Coordinator

I have Monitor 7 fronts also.

I will give my 2 cents but first let me just mention that room size would possibly effect what I am about to suggest.

If you want to go to 7.1 becuse you have a large room and find you need more speakers to fill it with surround plaease ingnore this.

I have and would recommend going with 2 Mini Monitor rears. Now my room is not suitable for the ADP 370s but I would not discount them. I've heard them and thought that they may appeal to some people and blended well with the Monitor 7s. They are very expensive for what you get but I can't give great advice on them becuse I can't use them.

The reason I say 2 Mini Monitors is that I think that if you TRY 5.1 you my find it is more than satisfying. A well setup good 5.1 system to me sounds better than a poorly set up or poorer quality 7.1 .There are not a lot of DVDs that take advantage of 7.1 ability so what you get is matrixed rear channels that don't add a whole lot.

You could pick up one set of Minis give it a try and if you are happy then spend the $ you were going to spend on the 2 rears on a sub upgrade. I'm not gonna cut down the Polk becuse I have not heard it but an upgrade to a 12 inch sub will probaly give you a much better and more notibale improvement in music and HT than 2 extra rear speakers will. From my own experience I found a HUGE difference going from a PDR 12 to a PW2200.

IF you try the 5.1 setup and still are not happy (maybe the dealer would let you try both ADP 370 and Minis and see which you like?) then go to the 7.1 setup.

YMMV

7. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

I also think you should stick with Paradigm. I tried using other speaker but it ended up costing me more in the long run because I replaced them with Paradigm anyway. The Minis and ADP370s are the best fits. The 370s can be found cheaper if you look out for B stocks.

I like Polk speakers but the subs arent the best value IMO. I have a Polk 10" and it doesnt do it for me. The most popular subs around here are, SVS, HSU, paradigm, velodyne, DIY, Adire Audio, Dayton etc.

8. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

Budget would really help giving a correct recommendation, that's the final decider in the end. Based on the cost of the speakers you own, would a Hsu STF-2 or Adire Rava be out of line at $400? That would be my "affordable" suggestion for a sub. And to further aid the surround issue, I would say the closer you sit to the rears, which may make them more distracting even properly calibrated, the more I would lean to the dipoles. That was one of my reasons for switching from Monitor 7's for my rears to ADP-370's. If you sit 5ft. or less from the rears, like I was, dipoles with really help spread the sound so as not to be as noticeable. I will say they aren't as good with 5.1 music as directs, but they aren't that bad either.

9. ChrisDixon

ChrisDixon Second Unit

If multi-channel music is a priority, go with direct-firing surrounds (Mini-Monitors). If budget is a concern, you may even want to go with the Atoms, which are the best value in speakers that I have seen. Though I have Studios in my main system, I still use my Atoms in my Den and like them very much.

Chris