rears/surrounds help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Kealey, Aug 4, 2002.

1. Kevin Kealey

Kevin Kealey Auditioning

I am slowly building my home theater, and currently have a 55" Mitsubishi Platinum Plus TV, a pair of Def Tech ProTower 400s, and a Def Tech C2 center speaker. Just picked up a Denon 3802 on a smoking deal today, so I find myself thinking of surrounds/rear speakers.

The room is fairly good sized, and has a vaulted ceiling that goes up from the back to its highest point over the TV. There are front and back walls, and one side wall, the other side is open to another part of the house.

Since I'm trying to be somewhat frugal about this, I am leaning to just using a pair of Def Tech ProMonitor 200s for the rear channels, and not messing with the other surrounds at this point. Other option is buying some Def Tech in wall apeakers and mounting them low on the ceiling in the back. Might look better, but not sure of the sound quality.

So the question is, from the vast experience here on this board, does this make sense and would it sound good? Can I run just the front 3 speakers until I get the rears purchased? I wasn't planning on getting the 3802 yet, but it was too good a deal to pass up. Any advice you can all provide would be greatly appreciated.

K

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I’m not familiar with these speakers, but your overall approach makes sense. You are deferring purchase of the least important speakers. No reason not to continue with this until you are ready for the next purchase. And by that time, maybe lightning will strike again (in the from of another “smoking” deal).

I presume that you are happy with your bass, as you did not mention a subwoofer. Many on this forum would advise that you consider adding a subwoofer.

3. Kevin Kealey

Kevin Kealey Auditioning

The ProTower 400's have built in subwoofers in each tower, similar to the powered bipolar speakers that Definitive makes. Not sure yet that I will need a freestanding subwoofer, although that is an option down the road. Would certainly improve things further. Thanks for the response.

Is it OK to just run the front speakers until I get the rears?

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

yes

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

kevin -
    i agree that building the system slowly is a very smart move. i'm not familiar with the 3802, but i'll assume it has some sort of 3-channel mode - that will tell the receiver to send any rear-channel info to the fronts instead.
    at least that way you'll get all the sound info.
    if you're totally desperate, go pick up some totally cheap bookshelfs and just use those for the rears in the meantime. while timbre-matching is important, if i had to fudge a little, i'd do the fudging in the rear (umm...let me rephrase that [​IMG] )
    ted