Rears on the side?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Joe Pick, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Joe Pick

Joe Pick Stunt Coordinator

Hello! Greetings from snowy Michigan.

My question is on placement of rear surround speakers on the sides or front corners of my room as opposed to behind me. It's tough to get wiring back there with the shape of my room, but would surrounds about 10 feet beyond my fronts be worse than nothing at all? I could also place them in the middle of the room on the sides, but not behind.

I have PSBs in the front and center now with a NAD A/V receiver.

2. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

Surrounds can work just as well on the sides as in the rear depending on the speaker and room. If the side is the furthest back you can go, I'd set them up there.

3. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    I agree with Wayne. When seated, you want them about 1 foot behind your head, and about 2 feet above your head.

4. Gralen

Gralen Stunt Coordinator

Hi Joe. I have the same problem and my back surround are on the side. just make sure the set up is proper and it will be fine

5. ScottHH

ScottHH Stunt Coordinator

Joe,
    Here is what Dolby recommends for speaker setup. The surrounds are really more on the side than behind the seating position anyway. I would think the closer you can get to their recommendations the better, but don't think the effect will be ruined if you have to put the surrounds a little in front of the seating position.