What's new

Rear walls, Back seats & accoustics (1 Viewer)

David Masefield

Auditioning
Hi, my first post/question and probably not the last!
Greetings from South Australia.

I read here regularly people saying that rear walls and seats at the rear suffer from accoustic problems if they are to close to the rear wall.
If the rear wall was curtained or had other absorbing properties, would that improve the situation??

Also, What are peoples thoughts regarding surround speakers.
Are they better mounted on the wall with brackets, mounted on the wall on a shelf or standing fixed, or unfixed on a floorstand?
Cheers, David

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Often bass response is much different (stronger) near the walls than in other, more central locations. Bass response has nothing to do with reflections and such, so curtains will have no affect. I’m not aware of problems with upper frequencies and near-wall seating; I’ve never observed it in any rooms I’ve been in. Perhaps someone else will chime in here.

Regarding rear speaker placement, generally on the wall, a few feet above ear level and a few feet behind the seating area is generally preferred; any method (shelves, brackets, etc.) that accomplishes that objective is acceptable. Stand mounting is the “if all else fails” method, IMO.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Welcome David. I was getting some nasty reflections off the back wall, mainly from the front 3. I hung black curtains along the entire wall and it completely solved the problem. I keep the seating a good 12" away from the wall as well.

As for surrounds, all will work. Like Wayne said, above and behind your head.

Peace Out~:D

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
If the rear wall was curtained or had other absorbing properties, would that improve the situation??
As Wayne indicates it's the low frequencies that will give you grief. Their peaks and nulls are the most extreme at room boundaries. Simple curtains or basic absorption panels will not even phase low frequencies. You'll end up with sucked out mids and highs with all the bass - in other words mud. Try and move at least a little bit forward from any room boundary. Avoid the center of the room as well for the same reasons.

David Masefield

Auditioning
Thanks guys, It's only once you make the simple statement " I am going to build my own home theatre" that you start to learn whats really involved. It's more than a statement..it's a hobby, for some it's an all consuming passion and for some lucky ones it's a job!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks