Rear walls, Back seats & accoustics

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by David Masefield, Jul 30, 2003.

1. David Masefield

David Masefield Auditioning

Hi, my first post/question and probably not the last!
    Greetings from South Australia.

I read here regularly people saying that rear walls and seats at the rear suffer from accoustic problems if they are to close to the rear wall.
    If the rear wall was curtained or had other absorbing properties, would that improve the situation??

Also, What are peoples thoughts regarding surround speakers.
    Are they better mounted on the wall with brackets, mounted on the wall on a shelf or standing fixed, or unfixed on a floorstand?
    Cheers, David

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Often bass response is much different (stronger) near the walls than in other, more central locations. Bass response has nothing to do with reflections and such, so curtains will have no affect. I’m not aware of problems with upper frequencies and near-wall seating; I’ve never observed it in any rooms I’ve been in. Perhaps someone else will chime in here.

Regarding rear speaker placement, generally on the wall, a few feet above ear level and a few feet behind the seating area is generally preferred; any method (shelves, brackets, etc.) that accomplishes that objective is acceptable. Stand mounting is the “if all else fails” method, IMO.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Welcome David. I was getting some nasty reflections off the back wall, mainly from the front 3. I hung black curtains along the entire wall and it completely solved the problem. I keep the seating a good 12" away from the wall as well.

As for surrounds, all will work. Like Wayne said, above and behind your head.

Peace Out~[​IMG]

4. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

5. David Masefield

David Masefield Auditioning

Thanks guys, It's only once you make the simple statement " I am going to build my own home theatre" that you start to learn whats really involved. It's more than a statement..it's a hobby, for some it's an all consuming passion and for some lucky ones it's a job!!