rear tower speakers

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by russell>b, Jan 27, 2004.

1. russell>b

russell>b Auditioning

I am using tower speakers for my rears, just wondering if I would benefit from lifting them up high so they are above the listeners head or as towers are they high enough ... the top of the speaker obviously does not go above the listners head

thanks

2. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    They're probably fine like they are.
    But, for curiosity's sake...........try them higher, and see which way you like them the best. Just fix something temporary to get them higher, for a test. If you like them that way, then figure how you will make it permanent.
    Good luck!

3. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Russell,

The "official" height of the surrounds is: slightly above the ears of the listeners. But not everyone likes that, so, as Ed suggests, try it for yourself.

Good luck!

Cees

4. Ruben Tello

Ruben Tello Auditioning

Russell

ME being a newbie.......is it better to use tower speakers as rears or would it be better use them as fronts?

This question is also directed to anybody wishing to hhelp with info on speaker upgrade for my home theater in a box. PLEASE HELP.

Ruben

5. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    it's fine to use them anywhere...........but, if you have only one pair, I'd probably use them for the fronts. The sound of your center speaker needs to match the fronts, as close as possible...........

6. russell>b

russell>b Auditioning

yup I agree towers for fronts ... but these are a 2nd pair of towers that I use for rears ie. I have no small rears.

so I was wondering and I'll try it and mount them high up on the wall .. it just looks a bit odd with these great big towers up on the wall

7. Greg Kolinski

Greg Kolinski Second Unit

My rear speakers are Acoustic research TSW 510's,nice old 3-ways from around 1990.I found some nice wooden stools at Hobby Lobby,about 8 in tall,and with no finish on them,so they can done in any color/finish.They were only about $10 each,and work great.

Greg