1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Rear Surrounds?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Walt H, Nov 17, 2001.

1. Walt H

Walt H Stunt Coordinator

Is there enough low frequencies going to the rear surrounds to warrant 5 matching, full range speakers (in a 5.1 setup)?

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Simple answer: Yes.
    ------------------
    All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
    to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Speedring (sorry, car guy)

3. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

I think I'll restate the question as such:
    Is there enough low frequencies going to the rear surrounds to make full use of full range speakers (in a 5.1 setup)?
    For DD or DTS movies, I think there wouldn't be much contention in answering this Yes. This leads to the question, "is it best to use your rear surrounds (and channels other than the sub) to produce the low frequencies, even if they can 'reasonably' produce them?"
    There are issues with going this route. Obviously, the lower the frequencies, the less a full range speaker can handle them and/or put out decent levels. Another concern that others have expressed (as I have no experience here) is the fact that it may be hard to get good overall bass response (let's say flat, for example) if the low frequencies are output from multiple, diverse points in the room. These are just generalities, as a number of variables will be at play.
    Counterpoint anyone?
    Doug
    ------------------
    "Today is a good day to die." ...Old Lodge Skins
    [Edited last by Doug_B on November 18, 2001 at 12:03 AM]

4. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

If your budget permits, go for it. If your budget has limits (:bg [​IMG] then I think there's better places to spend the money than on full range rears (like a better display, better center, amps, or DVD player).

5. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    If you're looking to build a 5.1 system on a budget the easiest place to save money is in the rear speakers. I use a pair of small Infinity speakers in the back and they sound great, but they don't produce any bass. Best case scenario is to be surrounded by equal speakers on all sides but my system is far from being a best case scenario. My next speaker upgrade isn't gonna happen any time soon but when it does I'll be upgrading the front three and moving them to the back, so I'll have full range all around but they won't be the same speakers.

6. Tor Arne

Tor Arne Stunt Coordinator

Doug.
    The problem of a good overall flat bass response with speakers in four corners would be a problem with music as the same sounds are being played at the sam time verywhere. [​IMG] But not with movies because different sounds will be played through each speaker. Or something. [​IMG]
    Just a thought.
    TAH