rear surrounds: facing each other?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Takosan, Dec 2, 2001.

1. Takosan

Takosan Stunt Coordinator

Maybe I got this surround thing all wrong 'cause I've had the rear surrounds facing towards the front speakers but some of the drawing I saw tonight show the rear surrounds 'facing' each other? Is this right?

Also can someone give me the URL again to sites on calibrating the speakers using SPL (I got one from RS) meters?

TIA,

Takosan

2. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

The whole surround ordeal is really not set. You'll probably hear lots and lots of opinions. But in general, if you have dipoles, you have the speakers facing the front and back wall. If you have monopoles. I've heard people having them faced forward or towards the ears. I think the general recommendation is to have monopoles facing the ear but that might be too much.

3. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Everywhere I look for examples of surround sound setup, I see the surrounds facing each other, about 3 or 4 feet high, roughly beside, not behind, and definietly not in front of the listening area.
    I suppose you could check this out:
    http://www.dolby.com/tech/

4. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Surrounds facing each other use to be the rule of thumb when the set up was for pro-logic only. Now that doesn't mean that you can't do it with 5.1 applications, but the idea in 5.1 applications is to have the surrounds speakers face frontward. I have my surrounds toed inward like the front speakers directly pointing to the sweet spot or listening area. I unless you are directly under the speakers facing forward you may be missing some sound information from the surround speakers.

I also tried facing them in and placing the "THE KING'S CHAIR" directly under the two as requested by the wife to make the room look better. I found that for me it was too distracting, every sound you heard was a bit to prominate. Just my .02

5. Jin E

Jin E Second Unit

6. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

The idea is how to create a realistic 3D soundfield with direct radiator (monople) surrounds to get smooth pans (eg. like a jet flying overhead from front left to right rear).

Because of different room shapes and sizes, this is not a simple "cookie cutter" setup. It will probably take some experimenting to see what works best.

A place to start is like many have suggested above -

(if they can't be placed equidistant and at the same height from the sweet spot as the main L&R.)

In this case try about 3' above ear level on the sides of the sweet spot (maybe slightly behind the sweet spot) and they can be pointing at each other, or slightly forward toward the front speakers, or slightly backward toward the wall, and maybe even slightly down toward the listening position.

You will need to experiment to see what works best in your room. Make sure you adjust for speaker distance (delay) and SPL level from your sweet spot in your Digital processor. The SPL level will likely change every time you adjust the direction of the speaker.

BruceD