Rear Surrounds Behind Couch / Seats -- tried it?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by CarlosM, Jan 6, 2004.

1. CarlosM

CarlosM Stunt Coordinator

Ive seen on Dolby's site the recommendation that if you cannot side mount (either on a wall, or via stands) your surround speakers, to place them, "a couple of feet" above the ground, on their back, and behind your couch.. kind of near the ends.

This is what im aiming to do right now.

Has anyone done this? How are the results? Does the sound seem natural? What did you do for stands / places for it to rest? How high/low relative to your ear was the speaker? Any and all information would be great!

thanks.

2. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

Well, all I can say is with careful adjustments, it will beat no surround speakers.

I believe Dolby stated that they were to face towards the ceiling.

3. Topher

Topher Stunt Coordinator

Yes, face them towards the ceiling. I had to do this before I got my stands and was able to move my furniture around a little to accomodate a more traditional setup and it worked fine for me. I had to turn the gain up on the rear channels a little to get the db's up to normal, but all in all it worked fine. You will lose a little detail in the sound though, I really didn't even notice until I got my new stands and put them up at ear level... seemed that the sound really opened up then. It is a good idea if you don't have the space or the stands to go with the traditional placement.

4. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

I currently have mine set up this way as my wife likes to move furniture around every year. (This year's move hasn't happened yet so in the interim I have set up everything temporarily.) I works out ok, I still hear the surround effects, even if I only have Bose 201's at rear duty.