Rear surround speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Reid K, Jan 18, 2003.

1. Reid K

Reid K Stunt Coordinator

Quick question is it worth putting tower speakers are rear speakers also? iam in a situation were my parents wont let me get wall speakers or anything like that. Iam thinking I might just get the same back speakers as my front towers then when I buy them unless you give me reason to think that is not a good idea.

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Rear speakers for a 5.1 system, or for a 7.1 system?

I had towers for a while, 1st as the rears in a 5.1, and then as surrounds (with bookshelfs as the rears) in a 7.1 system. I liked them but noticed this over time: Because the tweeters are more or less at ear level, they had a hard time "getting over" the futon-as-a-sofa I use. I just switched to bookshelf speakers about 12 inches above ear level, but I got everything hooked up too late at night, the wife is asleep, so I have to wait to fire it up and really listen critically.

I will tell you this: my original set up was dipoles 3 ft above ear level (the original recommendation for rears). When I went to towers, I felt more *in* the action, rather than *below it* with the rears/surrounds that high up.

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Another suggestion: if you are going to try towers for surrounds/rears, you could try raising them 3 - 9" (or maybe a little more) off the floor to get the tweeters up a little higher. I'm thinking about trying this too.