What's new

rear surround speaker placement ?? (1 Viewer)

Fred_Pa

Auditioning
I have a set of Klipsch KSB2.1's. They are used for rear surrounds and mounted on the rear wall in the corners. Is this the best location and how high should they be. Right now they are about 6 ft. thanx

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
This is somewhat a subjective topic. I prefer rear surrounds (direct radiating speakers) at the rear of the room and not the sides of the listening position. I think it has a more real imaging to the onscreen action. Anyway, how far behind the listening position are they? Sounds to me like the positioning may be ok.

Pete Jennings

Second Unit
I agree with Neil. There is something about a jet flyover that seems more realistic when actually coming from the rear OVER your head and then disappearing to the front. I just don't see how you can accomplish that with side mounted surrounds.

The movie Air Force One is a very good example of this. Also, the depth charge attack in U571 is the same way, the charges march across the ceiling over your head and disappear behind you - cool!

My $.02

Pete

Fred_Pa

Auditioning
Both the seating position and the speakers are against the rear wall. Should I point the speakers forward or keep them like they are in the corners? thanx

Pete Jennings

Second Unit
Fred, my B&W 601S2 rear speakers are about 7 feet up, angled in a criss-cross manner to the opposite front speaker at a spot in the floor about 4 feet in front of my sweet-spot. I used B-Tech BT-77 wallmounts , which are fantastic! I could literally do chin-ups on them (they are screwed into studs).
Very rarely can I localise sounds to them. I had to mount them there due to WAF and room geometry (no side wall on the back left of the room), but was advised by my dealer that this setup would work really well. They are about 11 feet or so behind my chair, so that probably helps a great deal with the overall sound quality. I wouldn't move them at this point for anything! With this setup, I get the same enveloping "stereo image" from the rear that you would get in a two channel setup. I feel it helps negate the need for a rear center channel.
Work with what you have and enjoy!
Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks