Rear surround speaker choice for 6.1 setup? Center channel or single bookshelf??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Stephens, May 22, 2002.

1. Scott Stephens

Scott Stephens Stunt Coordinator

Hi. My question is actually two questions. First, if you are looking for speakers to use in a 6.1 setup, would a center channel speaker be ideal or would a single bookshelf serve the system better? Do either of these choices offer any benefit over the other?

Second, what do you guys feel is better, a 6.1 setup or a 7.1?? I know most people think, "the more speakers the better the sound," but I was wondering if anyone had any preference based on their past experience. Does a 7.1 setup offer THAT much more sonic benefit over a 6.1? And is it really worth the extra $$ to purchase a 7.1 receiver over a 6.1??

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. SvenS

SvenS Second Unit

I would try to get the same speaker for the rear surround as you are using for the L/R surrounds. This will give you the most natural sound when there are pans. This is also idea for center speakers (to get identical ones as the fronts). Of course space sometime prevents this but be sure to get timbre matched speakers at the very least.

3. JoelM

JoelM Stunt Coordinator

For me a 7.1 setup is the way I went. It's not for everyone but my room is 20X30 so I needed 2 back surrounds. If you have a smaller area you could get away with just one. Although most speakers are sold in pairs [​IMG]

4. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter