Rear surround problem/question.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lee Weiss, Mar 16, 2002.

1. Lee Weiss

Lee Weiss Stunt Coordinator

After buying a new 5.1 DTS receiver, I bit the bullet and bought some good S-video, optical cables and speaker wire, getting set to test my new setup.

But to my dismay, as with my old receiver, my rears were sounding as if they were blown. I did not calibrate anything or set any levels since the kids are asleep, but the woofers don't seem to be torn. It has a very scratchy and unclear sound. It also seems more evident at low volumes.

What's up here? Before I open the new set of rears I bought, is there some way of testing the speaker? I know it is not the receiver since this one is new.

Any suggestions would help!

2. Harry Lincoln

Harry Lincoln Stunt Coordinator

Its best to calibrate the sytem first, but you could try swapping yur rears with your mains, it should be easier to tell if somethings wrong.

Harry.

3. Larry Rasmussen

Hi Lee,

Exactly what Harry said above. If you determine that the rears work ok in front then stick the mains in back. If they sound ok you have a weird problem. If they don't then run a short pair of wires from the rear channel outputs on receiver to a set of proven good speaker. If they sound good you have a wiring problem, if bad you have a problem with receiver with clear documentation if you need to return it.