What's new

Rear Surround Placement Help (1 Viewer)

David-Du

Auditioning
I’ve just purchased a Denon-3803 and will be adding a pair of rear surrounds.

My current 5.1 setup sounds awesome with the side surrounds wall mounted at ~ 6’ 6” (2.5 – 3’ above ear level) at each end of my couch. The ceiling in my HT room is 18’ high with the “rear wall” roughly 5’ behind the couch. The “rear wall” actually doesn’t start till the 9’ high mark as the bottom is open to another room (if you can picture that).

From a room design and wife acceptance perspective, I think my best approach would be to use a couple of in-wall speakers that would be 5’ behind the main listening position, but 9’ 6” off the ground (5.5’ – 6’ above ear level).

I know many in-walls have tweeters or horns that pivot. I was considering perhaps mounting a pair horizontally and pivoting the highs toward the listening area. What are some opinions on mounting in-walls this high? Would I be better off doing something else. Is there such-a-thing as an in-wall where the whole internal chassis would pivot? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Both applications sound acceptable. Using in wall speakers will make the set up esthetically pleasing to the eye (wife) and if you can direct the tweeter towards the listening area I'm pretty sure you will get the sound you wish. However I personally would favor getting speakers and mounting them on a pivot mount. It will bring the speakers at least 1/2 foot closer towards the listening area, and the imaging will be different as oppose to in wall speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks