What's new

Rear surround orientation, horizontal or vertical?? (1 Viewer)

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
Hi guys, I'm hoping to get some pics of my setup up somewhere which would make this question easier to visualize so if anyone knows of a free image hoster let me know :)
Anyway, I have the JBL NSP1 system so my surrounds are a pair of N24's. I'm using the wall-brackets and they're mounted on the rear wall of my room, opposite the mains and the center. They are mounted approximately 7' up the wall which puts them a little under a foot from the ceiling, with my ears falling somewhere in the 4' range when I'm seated watching a flick. The right surround is about 1'6" from the outer wall and the left surround is about 1' from the outer wall.
Right now I have them positioned so they are sitting vertically like they would be on a stand, with a VERY slight tilt downward, they aren't toed in towards the listening position at all.
I was considering turning them so that they are oriented horizontally. I'd rotate them both towards the center of the wall so that the tweeter each come closer to the center but the main driver stays in approximately the same place (since the rotation point is directly behind them). Would this show any difference.
At this point I'm not even really looking for an "improvement" since I don't really think I'm having any problems at this point. I don't really ever notice the surrounds all that much though, except when there is very specific rear sound (arrows in first Gladiator battle, flying Zords in Power Rangers :), etc.). I never really hear any ambient out of the speakers and when I listen to music in PLII I think I have yet to hear any real use of the rears.
I'm basically wondering if I should be hearing more out of them or if this is just right? If I should be hearing more would rotating them so they were horizontal help at all? Thanks guys.

Luis A

Second Unit
Did you calibrate your system (using an SPL Meter) so that all speakers are set at the same level?
If so you might want to try toeing in the speakers so that they are aiming towards the main listening position,but I would not put them in a horizontal position.Other than that I think there is just not any info (sound) for your receiver/preamp to reproduce.
GOOD LUCK :) L

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
Yes, everything is calibrated with an SPL meter. I was thinking of toeing them in toward the listening position but I found I liked the front soundstage better when my fronts were not toed in so I haven't messed with the rears in that regard.
Maybe I'm just expecting to hear more rear information than you really do (except in certain instances of course).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks