What's new

Rear Surround Location (1 Viewer)

RussDAL

Grip
I need some help with setting the position of my Rear speakers. My Living Room is 23'Lx15'W and the back left side opens to the kitchen. The couch sits in the middle of the living room so it is about 11.5' from the entertainment center. Not having a side wall in the back left corner of the room I am forced to place my surrounds on the back wall which is another 11.5' from the couch. I cannot move the couch back as we have alot of teenage kids come over and some will watch a movie while other play games in the back area. My big question is how should I place the rear speakers. I read the article at dolby.com and they say to place the speakers on the back wall and point them at each other. Should I still do this when they are so far back? I did have them angled in at the couch, basically putting whoever was sitting in the middle of the couch directly in the center of the X that was formed by all four speakers. While this sounded pretty good it also was evident when something was coming from the back speakers. It never really got the "envelope" effect. Also any adjustments I should make on my reciever to help compensate for the distance?

Jack Shappa

Second Unit
Never heard of REAR surround being pointed at each other. SIDE surround are of course...

I think 11.5 feet behind the listening position may be a bit far, but then again some HTs have 2 or 3 rows so the rears are about that far from the front row sometimes, but that's more necessity than choice.

How about ceiling mounts? Have them a couple feet behind the couch and drop down a couple feet and point over the heads of the couch people, or even down at them. This would leave the space behind the couch open (as opposed to speaker stands that would likely get run into).

- Jack

Rick-S

Agent
Have you considered speaker stands? Depending on how large the rear speakers are, they can provide flexibility in placement.

How are things in Birmingham? I bought my Klipsch speakers from Tweeters in Hoover before they dropped the entire line. I understand there is a store called Hoopers that carries Klipsch as well somewhere around the Galleria.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks