Rear/surrond speaker wire....is 12 guage ok

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Brad Newton, Jun 23, 2003.

1. Brad Newton

Brad Newton Second Unit

I will be running this from one end of the room to the other via the crawl space. I would prefer the thinnest acceptable wire, but I don't want to short change. Is 14 gauge ok or do I need to go with 12 gauge. The length of the run will be approximately 35'.

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

14 is fine. you want to make sure that whatever wire you're running meets code which 'may' require you to run CL2/3 rated wire (Home Depot). Make sure you run a little extra to allow for possible future repositioning.

3. Jon_Welker

Jon_Welker Second Unit

I agree with Chun, I have about a 25' run to my surrounds of 16' gauge actually, and everything sounds top notch. Also, I have about 2 60' runs to my outside speakers using 14 gauge, and no worries at all.

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

this is one of those things, that if not having 12 gauge is going to gnaw at you and keep you up at nights, then spending the extra $20 or whatever is cheaper than a visit to the doctor!

5. Christopher Lyn

Christopher Lyn Stunt Coordinator

I use 33' foot 12 guage wire that I got from my local Costco. The total length on the spool was 66', so I just cut it in half. Paid something like $25.00 for the whole spool.

Works fine. no problems