1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Rear Sub -- Question

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Rob*D, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Rob*D

Rob*D Auditioning

Hello everyone. I'm wondering how beneficial (if at all) it is to place a couple of dedicated subs with either the surrounds or the rears of a 7.1 system and set them to "large" on the preamp? Basically, is there much information sent to them below the 80hz level that usually gets routed to the LFE? -- or when they mix a dvd they just assume everyone has "small" surrounds and rears and don't include any lower frequency information. The reason for asking is that I have a pair of nice subs (Paradigm Servo 15's) but I'm buying 2 new subs, either Tumult based DIY or SVS. Instead of selling them and losing a considerable amount of money, not to mention shipping, I'd thought of just placing them inline with the surround channels, and setting the speakers to "large". Thanks for reading.

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Why not just experiment using them with the subs you are getting, off the SUB output with things set to small? The servo 15s are nice subs, so they may go nicely with what you are getting, and multiple subs placed well can achieve great results in a room more evenly than just one, in many cases. It would not be logical to put subs on the surrounds, if you were to put them on a channel other than the SUB output, you might consider them on the front L/R for, say, unprocessed direct stereo listening or something where the SUB output may not be engaged, or may not be crossed over. I don't know what your processor is, but those would be the routes I would consider. I would also definitely make sure that utilizing more subs is advantageous, and not detrimental. The Servo15s are very nice subs though, so it's not like you're thinking of keeping some crappy HTiB 'subwoofer' around while you bring in something like an SVS or tumult DIY, which I would recommend against because it would just degrade the sound. That's more advice for others who may be in similar subwoofer-upgrade situations, but with different subs in question. Hope that helps!

3. chuckg

chuckg Supporting Actor

It'll never work. I will save you the anguish of eternal dissatisfaction if you will but send me the Servo 15s. grin.

4. Rob*D

Rob*D Auditioning

Thanks Chris for the informative post -- makes sense to me. I'll try just that, placing the Servo15's inline with my L and R mains for use in stereo/direct listening.

chuckq -- I'll even absorb the shipping, for someone so kindly putting my satisfaction above their own personal wants/needs [​IMG]

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Rob.

Some points to consider:

- Tom and Ron (0f SVS) often recommend AGAINST having subs in multiple locations. It is just too hard to get even the primary listening seat adjusted for smooth response, let alone multiple seats. They usually recommend stacking or putting subs right next to each other to avoid artificial highs or lows in the room response.

- Your rear speakers just dont get much sound. It's just not worth having dedicated subs to make 'large' speakers in the rears.

- If you tell your reciever that the rear speakers are LARGE - it will send power-hungry, amplified signals to the rears. The subs will ignore this, but I believe the power will be lost from the reciever reducing the power available to the other drivers.

On the other hand - hooking all 4 subs up as a weekend project just to see how it sounds - could be fun. [​IMG] Just dont spend tons of time/money trying to make the configuration perminent.

Hope this makes sense.

Note: I have 500 watt subs in my L/R speakers and a SVS in a corner. The subs built into my speakers are disabled. The single sub produces a smoother, better sound for both movies and music. (But sometimes it is fun to fire everything up.)

6. Rob*D

Rob*D Auditioning

Hi Bob. Thanks for the info. That's basically what I was wondering--if the rear channels even receive enough sub-80hz information to make it worthwhile. Another question. Would your L/R mains happen to be NHT VT3's? If so, that's what I have too. I didn't even mention them because like you, I have the sub portion disables as well... just not as smooth down low as the servo15's. Plus, with my projector screen, I'm forced to place the towers too close to the side walls for the side-firing subs to sound that good. Which model SVS do you have? And how would you compare it to the sound from your L/R mains? Thanks again for the input.

7. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I have DefTech 2000tl's (which are NOT known to include great subs).

I have the 20-39 CS. One day I disabled it and turned back on the subs in the towers. I used my SPL meter to level-adjust things, then tried to watch a movie. The bass WAS impressive in volume, but rough. Only after you get used to the sound, then switch, do you realize how good/smooth the SVS woofers are.

8. Rob*D

Rob*D Auditioning

Thanks Bob, for taking the time to share some information. I'm anxious to try a SVS after reading all the posts like these, basically just honest, positive inpressions of a great sub at a reasonable price.

9. drobbins

drobbins Screenwriter

Dave