What's new

rear speakers (1 Viewer)

Joe*H

Stunt Coordinator
Guys,
Right now I have a set of polk r30 floor standing speakers for my rears and they sound fine to me, however I have the chance to replace them with a set of klipsch sf-1 floor standing speakers. I was thinking if they would sound better I would do it because they would match the klipsch sf-3 that I have in the front right now. Do you guys think that it would be worth the switch. thanks

R:o:b

Agent
replacing the polks with klipsch sounds like a great idea. the klipsch speakers are sooooo much diferent (concidering a horn tweeter and a rediculous efficiency at 98 db's while the polks are 90) those polks cant blend at all. another huge difference is the fact that klipsch use horn tweeter and polks have a sild dome. your mixing apples and oranges. now grant it we are only talking about the rear speakers so they dont really have to be timbre matched or anyhing but if u want a seemless surround sound then upgrade. rule of thumb is to allways stay in the same brand if possible (and same series of models).

just curious what do u have for your center and sub?

Joe*H

Stunt Coordinator
I have a definitive tech c1 center and a M&K v-1b sub. I got the r30's and the sf-3's new on clearance for a total of $353.00 out the door. I then bought the mk for $150 and got the c1 for free from a friend because he did not use it anymore. I'll most likely will upgrade. I guess I'll sell the r30 or put them in my bedroom. I just dont think that I have the ear that most of the people have on this forum. I am very happy with the setup I have, (with the exception of my yamaha 5740 receiver), however I just want to make sure that I getting the most out of my home theater. I am willing to do it the right way even if that means buying more speakers. thanks

R:o:b

Agent
if it sounds good to you then stick with what you have. me and a 100 other people will all tell u different things to do but none of them really matter if you dont like it. if you think your reciever is your weak link then save your money and get a new one! dont worry about the rear speakers. my system is a little mismatched also, polk csi5 center, polk monitor 70's fronts and ive been switching back and forth between bose 201 and polk r40's. although they are all polk they arnot timber matched and not from the same models. i still like the sound i get. would i be able to tell the difference betweem the monitor 70's and the rti8/10, probably but not to warent the cost of the upgrade.

just remeber, advise is great but doing the right thing is what sounds good to you. if your happy with your system then stick with it for a while. find out other weeknesess and upgrade as such, dont waste money when u dont need to...

my 2 cents...

Joe*H

Stunt Coordinator
well guys I received one of the klipsch sf-1 in the mail and boy did I make a mistake. the thing was wraped like *junk*, it was scratched on the top front coner and the grill was torn, the best part is that the woofer fell out. I can t beleive that all four screws just pulled through the woofer base, its like plastic, the holes are perfectly round and the screws are still in the box. the 2nd one has not even shown up yet. I knew I was makeing a big mistake, and I aready sold the polks. The post office stinks. Does anyone have a spare 6.5 klipsch sf-1 woofer laying around they dont need. I guess next payday I'll have to buy one from klipsch, I'm going to try and put some small black washers on the screws and see if the woofer holds tight and sound good for a temp fix.

billybob_jcv

Stunt Coordinator
Yikes! That was shipping damage? Did you get shipping insurance? The seller isn't going to help you out of this mess at all? I gotta say I wouldn't have sold my existing speakers before receiving the new ones - but I suspect you're already kicking yourself plenty for that. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks