Rear Speakers - Wireless?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Greg Mariotti, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Greg Mariotti

Greg Mariotti Stunt Coordinator

I will only be living in my current house for a short time and wondered if there is any wireless rear speakers out available. I don't want to have to wire through the attic and hoped there was an alternative.

2. Greg Fullerton

Greg Fullerton Auditioning

Wireless speakers = crap

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Greg,

Greg F. pretty well summed it up.

However, I’ve heard that Radio Shack has a fairly decent wireless set-up if your expectations aren’t too high and you can live with the downsides.

As I recall it’s only about 50 watts, with no published frequency response, THD or S/N ratio specs.

It basically has a transmitter at the front end that plugs into your rear channel RCA outputs, and at the other end is a receiver/amplifier unit for the rear speakers. So essentially you end up with a second stand-alone system at the back of the room.

I’d post a link, but Radio Shack’s search engine is pretty worthless.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Tim Stumpf

Tim Stumpf Stunt Coordinator

I'm really surprised that someone has not put some reseach dollars into wireless speaker technology. I mean, wireless technology has been available for quite a while for electric guitars, microphones, computer networks etc. Makes me wonder why it's such a hard thing to do for speakers. I suppose it has to do with adding an amp to a speaker and the cost and weight that would add, not to mention reliability? In my experience a good set of speakers will last practically forever, where as if you put in the added electronics of the signal receiver and the amp, you're asking for more breakdown, repairs, customer complaints? I guess I'm not really surprised after thinking it through.

5. Rutgar

Rutgar Second Unit

Tim, the biggest problem is wireless speakers aren't wireless. They still have to have power. So, all you're really doing is exchanging a speaker wire for a power cord.

6. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Yup, a while ago I spent some time convincing a good friend not to get into wireless speakers for HT. So many possible problems with RF interference with other remotes and antennae reception.

7. Tim Stumpf

"Tim, the biggest problem is wireless speakers aren't wireless. They still have to have power. So, all you're really doing is exchanging a speaker wire for a power cord."

Good point, but I think it's more complicated than that. My feeling is that wireless speakers would appeal to people who don't want to or don't know how to hide their speaker wires by running them in wall or through the attick or under the floor etc. whereas all homes have electric wires running through the walls, and everyone knows how to plug a cord into the wall.

8. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Tim,
    Oh, it can be done. The technology certainly is there, all over the pro audio market.

This old post of mine will explain why no one has done anything serious in the way of wireless speakers.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...29#post2144503

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

9. Tyson Wetzel

Tyson Wetzel Stunt Coordinator

It can be done right, but it's irrelevant. Any HT owner that doesn't want to run a pair of speaker cables, certainly doesn't want to drop a couple grand on a pro style wireless audio setup. That being the case, my advice to most people is get the best 3.1 setup you can afford and purchase the surrounds when you have a room that you can do it right in. A killer 3.1 rig will give you way more enjoyment than a HTIB with wireless surrounds.

10. Tim Stumpf

I don't really understand the logic in that statement. People would buy this technology for the some of the same reasons they buy Bose systems i.e. perceived convenience of setup and because of the way the system looks. People drop a couple of grand on Bose "livestyle" systems everyday.

11. Tyson Wetzel

Tyson Wetzel Stunt Coordinator

True, I'm suprised the "engineers" at Bose haven't already blessed us with some marvel of techlology like this. It could have a DVD player with 802.11b wireless technology and use solar/lithium ion powered 8 watt digital amplifiers powering their famous paper cone 3" speakers. It could even have a wi-fi transmitter for video to the television. I'm sure they could create a wonder like this for a retail of only $9,999.99.... Then Paul Harvey could tell us how amazing it is and how he has 2 in his home and it could be on the cover of Popular Science. ha ha ha ha