What's new

rear speaker's tweeter height (1 Viewer)

Takosan

Stunt Coordinator
I know I'm being too paranoid but ... for rear surrounds is it better to line-up the tweeter with the listener's ears? Or is it that the ear should line up between the tweeter & the bass driver?

Takosan

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i believe the usual convention is to line up the tweeter to the ear.

the hi-frequencies are more "directed" and therefore more noticeable to the human ear. in other words, you can pin-point the audio source easier. this should translate into better sound if the speaker is correctly positioned.

with lo-freq's, the sound is more "diffused" and you'll have a harder time localizing the sound.

Tom Morgan

Stunt Coordinator
I think for surrounds you want it to be non-localizable, doesn't Dolby say they should be a few feet above ear level?

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
good point tom. i was thinking more "usual" convention than rear speaker placement.

yes, dolby does recommend above the listener.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I tend to favor putting the tweeters of the rears at the same height as the fronts, roughly at ear level.

Dolby recommends putting the rear speakers a few feet above ear height. But this recomendation has not changed since the ProLogic days when they also recommended that all studios put only "diffuse/ambient" sounds on the rear channels. Modern movies are doing a lot more with the rear sounds these days. Frankly, it sounds funny when a bus/car moves to one side and suddenly shoots up over my head.

But for every movie that sends specific sounds to a rear speaker, there are thousands of others that send only ambient sounds to the rears and assume that you have your rear speakers 2-3 feet above your head. Thats why there is no clear answer to this question.

Good Luck.

Takosan

Stunt Coordinator
Thanx all. FWIW ... I got a 24" & put my 602s2 on them. I think my ear is between tweeter & woofer. Probably 20" might have been better but oh well.

Takosan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks