rear speakers, skimp and spend $ elsewhere?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Satch, Jul 25, 2001.

1. Steve Satch

Steve Satch Stunt Coordinator

The rear surrounds in a 5.1 speaker system are the least important correct? I want to upgrade from my Energy Take 5 speaker system with Energy XLS10 sub. I know I want an SVS sub, but before I buy that I want to upgrade at least the mains and center. Plan A is right now I have enough cash to replace the Energy Take 2 mains and Take 1 center with HTD level III towers and center, leaving my current Take 2s as rears. I could then start saving for an SVS sub. What negative impact would there be with different brand speaker across the front and rear? What about with towers up front and tiny surrounds? I'm guessing it would have more of a negative impact on music than movies. Plan B is save more until I can get the HTD level III towers all around. That would match better but would put the SVS sub off even further. It would also include the hassle of removing already mounted rears and create the problem of trying to put towers up high enough for rears. Any ideas? Would the HTD even be an upgrade from the Energy? nOrh's are pretty much out. Wife says she doesn't like the looks and my son would knock over the stands.
    Thanks,
    Satch

2. Steve Satch

BTT in hope of replies, thanks

3. John.J

John.J Auditioning

I personally would go with Plan A. " Plan A is right now I have enough cash to replace the Energy Take 2 mains and Take 1 center with HTD level III towers and center, leaving my current Take 2s as rears”. My friend just upgraded his front and center with Klipsch KLf30 and klfc7. He is still using Energy take2 as rears and his system sounds great. I can almost guarantee that you will hear dramatic difference if you upgrade your front speakers although I have not heard HTD Level Threes myself.

4. Steve Satch

John, thanks for the information. Have you heard your friends system with both movies and music? The Take 2's are great for small speakers, I just can't help but think how much better it would sound with full range speaker back there.
    Satch