What's new

rear speakers question? (1 Viewer)

Jonathan S

Auditioning
How important is bass response in a rear speaker? How much low end noise is actually sent to surround speakers generally in movies? I would like to create the best sound possible but didn't want to throw a lot of money into rear speakers if not a lot of low end audio is being sent to them (investing in small satalite speakers vs. bookshelf speakers).

current setup:
Yamaha HTR-5760 reciever
pair of Yamaha NS-555's for front speakers.
Yamaha NS-555
KLH ASW10100 subwoofer (may be cheap but it still sounds good)
KLH 911b bookshelf speakers

many thanks for any info or opinions you can pass along

Jonathan S.

Tom D

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Jonathan, what I would be looking for is frequency response down to 70 - 75 hz, and a sonic match to my other speakers.

Regards, Tom

Jonathan S

Auditioning
one of the nifty functions that came with the Yamaha HTR-5760 receiver I recently purchased was the microphone that helped set up speaker placement and automatic adjustment of frequency response per channel. Even though the rear (and side surround) speakers are small...they seem to do the trick. Granted, I can't expect much out of my current rear speakers since I didn't really spend much. So am I missing that much sound by not having better (more expensive) speakers back there?

thanks again

Jonathan

Tom D

Stunt Coordinator
It is a question that you alone can answer. Do you feel like you are lacking something or are you satisfied with the sound you have now? If your current speakers match each other sonically then I would not be worried about missing information. Ideally your speakers should match each other sonically and have reasonable frequency response below 80hz. What you are looking for is a seamless panning of sound from side to side (sound panning from left front to centre to right front to right surround, to left surround, and back to the left front). Again, ideally the sound should move effortless and without any "holes" in the movement. Of course your room also plays havoc with the sound as well as the placement of your speakers.
In most soundtracks the majority of the sound is placed in the front, the rears are usually ambiance, like wind, rain, distant sounds, traffic, or explosions in the distance...

Regards, Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks