Rear speakers problems

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BetsyD, Mar 2, 2003.

1. BetsyD

BetsyD Auditioning

Hello there,
    I have purchased a what you call Home Theater in a Box Sony STR-DE425 4years ago and now i'm having trouble with the rear speakers. This is 5.1 connected to DVD palsonic brand (this is not dts but supports dolby ). When performing a test from receiver all speakers are functioning, same as if I test my dvd set-up they are functioning too. Now when watching a dvd movie ( which is 5.1 ) all I can hear from the rear is purely humming sound. Can someone please help me where to start looking to solve this problem. I don't know anything about this and would greatly appreciate your assistance.
    Thank you
    BetsyD[​IMG]

2. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Hmmmm. Have you unhooked your rears lately? Could they be crossed and not in the correct configuration (pos to pos, neg to neg, etc.)? Is there a power cord that might be close to one of the rear speaker wires behind your unit? Have you put in a dimmer recently or some other device to a shared outlet or plug? Also did you calibrate your system lately. You might start by checking for any loose connections, then going over some of the points I made. If nothing helps, try recalibrate your system and making sure that your speaker levels on your receiver are correctly set and haven't ben changed for some reason. Hope some of this helps.

3. BetsyD

BetsyD Auditioning

Wow, Thank you for the quick reply. I have moved everything to another part of our house one, second because we could not solve this problem, we did try calibrating the Sony amp by adjusting the speaker volume and also change the surround mode, which honestly was a mistake whether its delayed or effect 1-6. I will try re-connecting everything and check that all cables are properly connected. Could this be because of my Dvd ?
    Thank you again,will send you a note when I fix this. g'day
    Betsy

4. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Stupid I know, but are you sure you had selected Dolby Digital 5.1 and not dolby surround in the dvd movie menu? I know some people ahve had the same complain because they thought that dolby surround was 5.1 I used to ahve a Sony STR-DE445 and it gave humming/buzzing sounds fromt he speakers when no signal was beign sent to them, but the power was on.... so that could explain it.

5. BetsyD

BetsyD Auditioning

Thank you. But when amp or tv is playing everything is working beautiful,the moment i played DVD, the sub and the rears is just not functioning. Have checked all the wirings and the connections but just could not find where the problem is coming from. Could it be from DVD ? When playing dvd I chose 5.1 and on the dvd screen shows i'm using 5.1 speakers ,beats me. Please i'm desperate . Shall i buy a new dvd player or amp which shall I change ?

regards
    BetsyD

6. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Betsy,
    How's it going? Is it fixed? I know you said you made sure the player was set to 5.1 "Dolby Digital" and DTS is set to "on," if you have a DTS recorder, right? Otherwise, I'm at a loss. Before you buy, see if you can get a player on loan or rent one to see if it is actually the player. One other thought, you did check the settings on the receiver when in DVD mode, right? I once was tinkering with my HK receiver and some how I changed my settings without knowing- I went nuts to find later that it was as simple as reselecting the speaker outputs and sub out in the receiver's menu to restore the system to normal. In fact, i still don't think it was my mistake, because a light blew at the same moment and my sub just stopped playing- it was odd to say the least but the surge or my hand changed the setting without my noticing. Oh, well...a long winded way of saying check the settings again, even though it sounds like you did. Take care and good luck!

7. BetsyD

BetsyD Auditioning

NO SOLUTIONS YET...UNFORTUNATELY. This is my setup, DVD was purchased 7years ago, those time DTS was no so popular but it is equipped with Dolby (AC-3)bitstream, coaxial and optical cable is present. Now my amp does not have either coaxial nor optical which now makes me think (why did I buy this in the first place ?) Sony -my amp was performing before, I just still couldn't figure out where the problem is coming from. I have borrowed my sons DVD to test it. Then I'll let you know what was wrong .

Thank you and regards
    BetsyD[​IMG]

8. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Ok well if you dont have an optical input ot a digital coaxial input on your receiver then that is why you are not getting any sound, your not supposed to. any sound you may have been getting was likely from dolby prologic, thats my best guess. but th ebottom line is to get surround sound you need either a optical or digital coaxial input or a 6 channel analog input. and the decoders built into the DVD player.

9. BetsyD

BetsyD Auditioning

I do beleived that you are right.There is a small print on my Sony Manual that says" When listening to 5.1/DVD input mode, bass, treble ,bass boost and sorround do not function.
    So what does DOLBY DIGITAL AC-3 DECODER means then ?

I appreciate your prompt reply.I should have read the manual carefully before wasting other people's time.
    Thanks everyone.

BestyD

10. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

The AC-3 decoder is to decode an AC-3 from laser discs.[​IMG]

11. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

12. BetsyD

BetsyD Auditioning

What can I say, Thank you for putting up with me. Now, Im searching for a new receiver that has at least coaxial/optical input.
    Im slowly learning and soon would enjoy my home theater.
    Thank you..
    BetsyD[​IMG]

13. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Betsy make sure you read up more on this stuff, once you really get in you will be hooked, so do it right the first time [​IMG]

14. BetsyD

BetsyD Auditioning

Thanks John...

G'day to you too..

betsyD

15. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Hmm i just re-read my last post and im not sure if it was taken ina negative light, so i just want to clarify. all im saying is that when i first got into Home theater i just bought what looked good, hey it had one optical AND one coaxial, i was happy..... that was two years ago, and now i spent 1300 a few weeks ago on a new receiver, that would ahve been avoided if id spent a bit more on my first one. the thing is i never thought id want more than one digital input.... and i enver thougth about video switching, and i never considered hi res music... so the hiss formt eh receiver at mid ranges never bothered me much, hel i never noticed it at first...

all ims aying is there are lots of things to consider, and you want to avoid the upgrade that most ppl go thru when they become more informed.... that my opinion at least.

16. BetsyD

BetsyD Auditioning

When DVD came out we decided to upgrade our entertainment system at home and of course,when I chose mine all i wanted was a multi format dvd and surround sound and a reliable brand.Also I considered the fact that my budget was way over what i decided to spent. Points taken no feelings was hurt.Thank you.
    BetsyD