Rear speakers for Paradigm set up

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kathy C., Sep 24, 2002.

1. Kathy C.

Kathy C. Agent

I need help with my HT speaker system.

So far I have the following speakers:

Paradigm Minimonitors v. 2
    " " Center 370 v.2
    Paradigm PDR 10

I was originally planning to find 2 more minis for my rear surrounds, but then decided on ATOMS.-budget reasons. I'm buying everything used--with great luck so far--and having trouble picking up atoms. Would TITANS blend ok with the minis? My room is not huge, and we are not audiophiles, but really appreciate good sound--cause we've auditioned the best (bad move).

If there's other alternative, let me know. I've only hear the atoms, & the paradigm little surround speakers with the minis.

The system will be 70% HT/ 40% music. Denon 2802 receiver.

thanks, Kathy

2. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

Titans are closer to Minis than the Atoms. I have the same setup, except the sub. They sound fine. There are differences between the Minis and Titans, but they are very small. Titans work well as cost effective rears.

3. GarryW

GarryW Stunt Coordinator

If money is an issue, try Ebay. You should be able to pick up a pair of Mini-Monitors for

4. Kathy C.

Kathy C. Agent

I've bought everything off of ebay and audiogon. How did the atoms sound wrong?--we couldn't hear any problems when we auditioned them.

I've also watched for a MOnitor 3-use them as fronts, and move minis to rear.
    Atoms are kind of rare on ebay these days, but there have ben several titans.

K.

5. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

A/C to Paradigm catalog, both Atom and Titan have the same 3/4-in tweeter. Titan is a little better for low frequency extension to 50Hz with a 6.5-in driver, while Atom goes down to 55Hz with a 5.5-in driver.

Atom weighs 7.5lbs per; Titan weighs 10.5lbs.

Kathy, I'm sure each sounds acceptable alone in the store. It's how they match the Mini-Monitors and Center once set up in your house that accounts for preference and sound differences.

For cost purposes, I dont see why one cant match a Titan (Performance Series) with Mini-Monitors (Monitor Series)for surrounds.

For pure "timbre" or tonal quality matching, tho, it wud be super to get two more Minis for the rears. Remember, you all sometimes will use them for CD music altogether in 5Channel Stero mode or however your rcvr terms it. I have Mini rears.

bill

6. Chris Demaree

Chris Demaree Stunt Coordinator

I am using Studio 20's for my mains, Studio CC for the center and Titans for the rear. Sounds great. I am very happy with the Titans performing rear-channel duty.

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Performance line and Monitor line blend decently, but there is no question in my mind that the Performance line and Studio line should not be used together.

I had Atoms, and I was not pleased with them as surrounds (not quite enough bass, even set to small) so I exchanged them for Titans.

Timbre wise, I think they will match fine.

8. Kathy C.

Kathy C. Agent

I'm glad to know John and Bill are Paradigm guys. This opens up some more opportunities to SAVE money!!

What advice to you have for versions--so far, I'm v.2. Can I mix the rear versions --v.2 or v.3--with front v.2?
    If I found more minis, I would stick with v.2.

Kathy

9. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

10. Phuong

Phuong Stunt Coordinator

The Atoms/Titans will work fine as rears. You have to remember that issues that pertain to front speakers like timbre, imaging, flat response, etc. don't necessarily apply to rear speakers, which you usually place in positions not optimal to imaging: high and closer to wall. Unless you like to do five-channel stereo mode, in which the front and rear speakers get identical L R signals, don't sweat the details of matching. Spend more time enjoying movies because that's what home theater should be all about.

11. Phuong

Phuong Stunt Coordinator

If you doubt my reasoning, just remember that until recently, home theater people had doubts about mixing one brand of main speakers with another brand of subwoofer. The new dominant discourse in home theater is that subwoofers and mains are two totally different beasts, with independent criteria for optimum performance, and that it's to one's advantage to get the best subwoofer and mains they can, regardless of brand. Now, we can argue the value of where to draw the line when it comes to mixing and matching, but my take is to keep the fronts consistent, get similar, complementary, or matching rears, and get a great subwoofer. In movies, the soundstage stays upfront where the visual action is. If you miss the sound of more bass in the rears, it's probably more of the midbass (80 Hz) sound you miss from the good old days of low fi and electronic bass enhancement. Compared to this, FLAT frequency response can sound bland. But in the long run, it can offer more a pleasing sound, especially in terms of personal satisfaction for those who spent good time and money to get a great system.

12. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

That's certainly a cogent and persuasive outline, particularly re the front stage. We know that kathy is a smart shopper and this gives her some justification to find the used Minis OR new/used Titans (I'd say not Atom) in the marketplace.

13. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

I just bought a set of Titans and they can pull their own in stereo with no sub. I'd imagine they would be excellent rears.

14. Kathy C.

Kathy C. Agent

thanks for the encouragement! thanks Bill for the "smart shopper"--I try to be--to a fault!!!

Kathy

15. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

16. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

I totally agree with Phuong here. There are NO compatibility issues that I have ever been able to discern even when using surround speakers of a different brand than the fronts. The concern is in matching the center with the mains, not the surrounds. I have the exact same setup as Chris above, and the Titans work beautifully as surrounds.

I got my 20's, Studio CC and Titans pristine off Audiogon for a total of $900, a Sony SA-WM40 for $175, and a demo model Denon 3801 off Ebay for $475. Pure sonic bliss for $1550 (shipping included).

Get the Titans.

17. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I used the Atoms as surrounds for a year or so with Monitor 7's. The Atoms work fine as surrounds. You might be able to tell a little difference if you get into SACD or DVD-A where the surrounds will get more of a workout.