What's new

Rear speaker sound with Dolby Digital 2/0 ? (1 Viewer)

Christopher Chung

Stunt Coordinator
I don't have rear speakers yet, but is sound supposed to come out when a DVD is encoded with 2/0 sound as opposed to DVD's encoded in 3/2 sound?
If it doesn't come out, is there any way to make audio come out just as it is with the front right and left?
Thanks,
Chris

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
It depends on how the soundtrack is encoded.
If it's a simple two-channel stereo track, then no, you only get sound from the front left and right speakers. If it's a matrixed two-channel Dolby Pro-Logic-encoded track, then yes. Pro-Logic has four channels of sound encoded into two stereo channels: Left, center and right front channels, then one mono back channel that is sent to two rear speakers.
With a two-channel stereo track, there is probably some way of getting sound to come out of the rear speakers too, but trust me when I say you wouldn't want that. That isn't what surround sound is about. It's very disorienting hearing sound that should be coming from in front of you (that accompanies on-screen action) to be coming from behind.
[Edited last by Ken Seeber on August 04, 2001 at 02:12 AM]

Henry W

Stunt Coordinator
It depends on your receiver and the modes offered. Almost any receiver on the market today offers a number of modes which enable you to have sound from all your speakers irrespective of the recorded mode.
Best regards-Henry
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks