What's new

rear speaker placement (1 Viewer)

len_casady

Auditioning
My Kenwood HTB-504 system should be arriving soon. I'm still unsure about mounting the rear speakers. I have a vaulted ceiling. I have a link to a picture of the rear wall. I've included colored circles of where I was thinking of putting the speakers. Any idea of which would be the best placement?
http://www.neosoft.com/~ice/rsp.jpg
Thanks
Len

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
How far away from the back wall are the couch and chair? That would be my deciding factor.

If they're really close to the wall, I wouldn't mount them where the orange circles are.....the sound would all be lost over your head.

Even if they're away from the wall, I'd try to lower them some. Having them that high might not sound so good.

Actually, with your setup, I'd recommend stands. The pink circles look like a good place, but you're really limited in how they're positioned if you mount them on the wall. You'd really want them pointing towards your seating, or maybe behind a bit, but not into the room.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
I think the Orange circles look fine.

Dolby specs say to mount them 2-3 ft. above the listening position and point them at the listening position for 5.1 material, so you could get some adjustable mounts and point them in the right direction.

Robin Smith

Stunt Coordinator
I'd actually move them down a little, both for aesthetics and for performance. If you mount them such that the top of the speaker is in line with the top of the opening on your back wall they will probably blend in with the lines in the room a little more (i.e. stand out less), plus they will be a foot or so closer to your head.

You will want to get speaker mounts that let you angle the speaker down somewhat (which means also securing them to the stands firmly)

Just my two cents.

Robin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks