What's new

Rear Speaker Placement Questions (1 Viewer)

Jim Rondeau

Stunt Coordinator
Hi All,
I've been doing some redesign of my home theater and I'd like some advice on rear speaker placement as I'm adding two rear center speakers due to my recent purchase of a Denon 3802. Also I've gone from one row of seating to two. My room is 12' wide by 23' long. The TV and front speakers are on a 12' wall. The first row of seating is at a viewing distance of 10' and the second row is 14' (the single row was originally at 12'). Currently my left and right surrounds are at 14' (even with the second row) starting about 5' up.
I'm wondering if I should leave these speakers where they are or move them forward 4' (even with the first row where I'll be sitting most of the time). 4' is the minimum I can move them forward as one is currently next to a window and moving it 4' would put it on the other side of the window. As far as the two rear center speakers go I do have a shelf in the back of the room I could put these on. This would put them 10' behind the first row and 6' behind the second. Is this to far? They would only be 4 feet up so would not be at the same level as the left and right surround (5'). How important is it that the rear speakers all be at the same level?
I'm open to any suggestions. If need be I can try to suspend the rear centers from the ceiling so they are closer the listening area. If it helps any my main use is 90% movies/10% music. Also, my left/right surrounds are DefTech BPXs and the centers are DefTech BP1Xs. I'm included a pic below too.
Looking at rear of room
Thanks.
Jim

Geoff S

Stunt Coordinator
IMO the surrounds are best when right beside you, or even slightly behind, if you can't make them even between the two sofa rows just leave them in line with the 2nd row. Keep in mind there job is to do ambiance, and panning effects going beside you. Since they're bipoles between would be best, where they are now is fine, the BPXs are very placement forgiving.
As for the rear surrounds I would first suggest using direct radiating speakers rather than bipoles cause you don't need a diffuse effect from the back surrounds, especially if you have two. But if you choose to use the BP1Xs have them either even, or slightly higher than the side surrounds.
Does the 3802 give you the option in setup to set speaker distances? If so then the receiver can set delay time so the back speakers being 10' back wont cause any harm. Best thing to do would be mount them to the cieling a few feet behind the listening position and point them slightly downwards... but with the BP1Xs you'd have to build a rig for cieling mounting (I know, I use them, they just have that one hook) to get them up there, and then pointing them would be hard. You may as well use only 1 BP1X for the rear since it is a bipole... but then again they do come in sets of two only...
Best thing would be to drop the BP1Xs and get a good pair of direct radiating surrounds with brackets so you can cieling mount and swivel them, or get some you can put on stands, or rear wall mount them and set a delay time.
Hope this helps more then confuse or anger :)

Geoff S

Stunt Coordinator
Hey... I just gave you the answer and didn't even know it...

Put the BP1Xs on stands or some kind of shelves or tables.. just get them high enough.

Main job of the back surrounds is to play the rear effects that come behind you or around you.

Jim Rondeau

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the response Geoff. The 3802 does allow you to set speaker distance so that should help as you described. I was using the BP1X's for my effects speakers on my DSP-A1 and pretty much have to stick with these for the rear at least for the time being. I think I will put a removable shelf up on the back wall that will hold the BP1X's and place it so they are slightly higher than the BPXs as you mentioned. If I'm not fully happy with that I will eventually try to rig something to mount them from the ceiling. Thanks.

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks