Rear speaker placement in ceiling. Worth it or not?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Kroll, Aug 22, 2002.

1. Scott Kroll

Scott Kroll Agent

I am not lucky enough to have a room in my house that is perfect for home theater (yet) so I have setup my home theater in my family room and currently run a Klipsch Quintet 5.1 speaker setup powered by a Denon 3802 receiver. The family room is open directly to the kitchen so there is no back wall for rear speakers. My question is this...

Is it worth it to install 2 ceiling speakers behind the listener that would act as the 6th and 7th channel or is it not really worth the time or effort? Second part is I currently run the 6th and 7th channel to 2 outdoor speakers and if I were to install 2 ceiling speakers is there an easy way to switch the 6th and 7th channel from inside (6.1 / 7.1) to the outdoor speakers?

2. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

There are speaker switch boxes that allow you to change between 2 sets of speakers. This might be appropriate since the back channel and outdoor speakers probably won't know the difference with the added switch board.

I've heard a few HTs with Klipsch ceiling surroound speakers. To be honest I'd say it works fine and with some movies where there's rainfall ambient noise or planes flying overhead the ceiling speakers have a nice touch.

since were talking back channel, I can't really say if it'll be worth it because I havn't played around with the 6th channel. It also shoulnd't be that hard to install unless you don't want the wire showing. I believe it's a matter of just using a hand saw and cutting a hole in the ceiling (missing the beams) and mounting the speaker.