Rear speaker placement (height) issue

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TonyTone, Oct 11, 2002.

1. TonyTone

TonyTone Supporting Actor

From what I've read here and in the Dolby FAQs, rear surround/surround back speaker placement height should ideally be 2-3 feet above listener ear level (seated position). In my case, ear level is 3 feet above floor level, so if I wanted my rears to conform to the "ideal" standard height, I would need to get speaker stands that would be at least 4 feet tall and be able to support 22 lbs (JBL S26II). Are there any such affordable and decent-looking beasts, short of fabricating one out of milk cartons and such?

Wall mount is out of the question because the room (9-ft ceiling) is open-ended on the left and right sides (room opens to kitchen on the left, dining room on the right), and there are two large windows that practically take up the entire rear wall (entire width of the room, and run from about ear level to approx.

2. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

3. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Tony, my rear heights are also a compromise between the two recommended positions... and the available speaker stands capable of supporting my speakers! [​IMG]
    But I've definitely found that height is important for good dispersion, particularly if one is using monopole speakers. I searched far and wide for a decent quality stand that was tall enough and strong enough to support my rear speakers (~27lb Diva 2.1s), and ended up going with the 40" Atacama Nexus available at audioadvisor:
    http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/pr...20Stand%20Pair
    This is a very well-made, heavy-duty stand that can be filled with sand or metal filings (in the large center column) for additional mass loading. I plan to do this, but haven't yet. My speaker is attached to the face-plate with audio-tak (blu-tak) and it's certainly a solid foundation. The only drawback I've found is that there isn't a means for cable management. Otherwise, highly recommended.

4. TonyTone

TonyTone Supporting Actor

Phil--nice layout! Unfortunately for me, I am gonna have logistical issues with obtaining acoustically-ideal (to my ears) speaker placement since my family "room" is open on the left and right sides--it technically doesn't even have a corner, so it's gonna be a struggle finding a good location to put a sub. And since the room doesn't have side walls (unless I want to "expand" the family room to include the kitchen and dining room), wall mounting of surrounds is impossible.[​IMG]