What's new

Rear Speaker Placement for Dipoles (1 Viewer)

David J Wang

Agent
I have Paradigm ADP-170s (dipoles) as my rears mounted on some Bello 3ft speaker stands that are slightly above my ear when i'm sitting down on my couch. My question is where should I place the rear speakers (mounting is not an option because the apartment mgmt might get pissy about it and I don't want to mount them neways) and what direction should they be facing? Should I have the Paradigm logo facing me (even tho it seems there's no speakers out of that side or i could be wrong) or should I have one of the sides where the sound is coming from face me? Also for placement of the speakers should I have them at the side of me or should I have them behind me? The only problem is if I move my couch out to put the speakers behind me then my viewing distance to the tv will be reduced when it's already somewhat cramped. But any thoughts would be appreciated... placement of speakers, distance from speakers to listener and for each placement which direction should the Paradigm logo be facing? Here's a link of the dimensions of my living room. http://www.geocities.com/doobacalypse/livingrm.gif
The tv and front speakers are against the wall that separates the master bedroom and the living room, and the couch is on the other side of that.

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor
I have Atlantic Technology Dipoles so my information may or may not be correct for your Paradigms.
I am told that the listner should be in the null area. I believe the idea with Dipoles is to have you get a more diffused image from your rear speakers, sort of like you get with the multiple rears spread along the side of a theater.
I have never seen the Paradigms, so I don't know how you tell where the null area is. With the AT Dipoles, which are triangular, it's easy to just aim the point of the triangle at the spot where your ears are.
Deane

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Depends on where you place the speakers. First of all they should be about 2-3 ft above ear level if possible.
If the speakers are behind you, they should fire out the sides, but if you have them on the sides of you the speakers should fire forward and backward.
go to www.dolby.com for more placement issues. I learned a lot from there.

Joe Greca

Stunt Coordinator
I think with the Paradigms, you want the logo pointing toward your ears. This means sound will come out toward the front and rear of the room, not at you directly.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Correct, the Paradigm logo will face the listening position with one driver in each unit firing towards the tv and the other driver in each unit firing towards the back wall.
I am using a pair of Paradigm ADP-170s also.
------------------
My DVD Collection Casa del Clint

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks