rear speaker placed behind couch, firing upwards?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by DarwinU, May 20, 2003.

1. DarwinU

DarwinU Extra

If I were to purchase a 6.1 receiver, how effective would the rear speaker be if I were to place near the floor directly behind my couch, and have the speaker firing upwards toward the ceiling? Right now the couch is against the back wall but I can move it forward about a foot. That's not enough distance to have the speaker on the wall as it would be firing just inches diretly behind my head, so that's why I thought of this alternative placement. I can definitely live with 5.1 but I'd like to get some thought's on this though. Anyone?

2. Scott Sabin

Scott Sabin Stunt Coordinator

Another option is to put the speaker higher up on the wall than normal to buy yourself some "distance".

3. JustinG

JustinG Stunt Coordinator

On the dolby site, one of teh options is to put the surround speakers behind the couch as you describe. THough I believe that they have it on a stand that is below the level of the back of the couch. Should work fine, however.

4. Tim Fennell

Tim Fennell Stunt Coordinator

That is how my rear speakers are set up. It will work
    that way if you calibrare properly.

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

another option is to put them beside your couch, firing upwards. i had mine at about seat-height. worked great.

when i had them on the floor i got too much boominess, plus i didn't really get that rear-sound sensation.

did you already check out the dolby.com article?

6. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I am not a fan of having a speaker directly behind one's head while sitting at the listening position. I would mount it high then experiment with angled firing to try to achieve a little dispersement. Ideally, speakers need breathing space which is the reason you would not want to have your front speakers a foot away from the couch but you seem to already understand this.

7. DarwinU

DarwinU Extra

thanks for the replies fellas [​IMG]
    I took a look at the link as well. I was only concerned about the rear-center surround speaker, as the Left/Right surrounds are on the side walls. If I do in fact opt for a 6.1 setup, I'll be doing some speaker placement/position experimenting for sure.
    Maybe all 3 surrounds behind the seating position pointing upwards as Tim has his.