What's new

rear speaker placed behind couch, firing upwards? (1 Viewer)

DarwinU

Grip
If I were to purchase a 6.1 receiver, how effective would the rear speaker be if I were to place near the floor directly behind my couch, and have the speaker firing upwards toward the ceiling? Right now the couch is against the back wall but I can move it forward about a foot. That's not enough distance to have the speaker on the wall as it would be firing just inches diretly behind my head, so that's why I thought of this alternative placement. I can definitely live with 5.1 but I'd like to get some thought's on this though. Anyone?

Scott Sabin

Stunt Coordinator
Another option is to put the speaker higher up on the wall than normal to buy yourself some "distance".

JustinG

Stunt Coordinator
On the dolby site, one of teh options is to put the surround speakers behind the couch as you describe. THough I believe that they have it on a stand that is below the level of the back of the couch. Should work fine, however.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
another option is to put them beside your couch, firing upwards. i had mine at about seat-height. worked great.

when i had them on the floor i got too much boominess, plus i didn't really get that rear-sound sensation.

did you already check out the dolby.com article?

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I am not a fan of having a speaker directly behind one's head while sitting at the listening position. I would mount it high then experiment with angled firing to try to achieve a little dispersement. Ideally, speakers need breathing space which is the reason you would not want to have your front speakers a foot away from the couch but you seem to already understand this.

DarwinU

Grip
thanks for the replies fellas :emoji_thumbsup:
I took a look at the link as well. I was only concerned about the rear-center surround speaker, as the Left/Right surrounds are on the side walls. If I do in fact opt for a 6.1 setup, I'll be doing some speaker placement/position experimenting for sure.
Maybe all 3 surrounds behind the seating position pointing upwards as Tim has his.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks