What's new

Rear speaker height question (1 Viewer)

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
Maybe I'll get a few more responses in here, so...

From what I've read here and in the Dolby FAQs, rear surround/surround back speaker placement height should ideally be 2-3 feet above listener ear level (seated position). In my case, ear level is 3 feet above floor level, so if I wanted my rears to conform to the "ideal" standard height, I would need to get speaker stands that would be at least 4 feet tall and be able to support 22 lbs (JBL S26II). Are there any such affordable and decent-looking beasts, short of fabricating one out of milk cartons and such?

Wall mount is out of the question because the room (9-ft ceiling) is open-ended on the left and right sides (room opens to kitchen on the left, dining room on the right), and there are two large windows that practically take up the entire rear wall (entire width of the room, and run from about ear level to approx.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Rear placement does not have a single true answer.

I prefer the rear speakers on stands to place the rear tweeters at the same height as the front tweeters.

This sounds great for many modern movies.

But many movies still follow the ProLogic design and have lots of ambient/non-directional noises going to the rears so the 3 feet higher placement is better for these.

Places like Ikia and other stereo stores often have nice stands for about $50 each. Yes..it seems like a big expense, but it's worth it.

Stasulos

Stunt Coordinator
You can also make your speakers face the ceiling. That way you can place them really low.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks