Rear speaker cable

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Francisco_C, Nov 30, 2002.

1. Francisco_C

Francisco_C Agent

I'm running new 12ga cable to my rears and cant get in my attic..i was wondering about running the cable outside, along the wall and into the back of my living room up to the rears. Is this a good idea? any problems that might arise? any advice on how i could do it? any other suggestions are welcome...thanks

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

You need to check your local fire codes about running wires through the walls to the outside. Then you need to check your insurance policy/company as there is a fear that should a fire break out in your home, the insurance company could refuse to pay because you made the problem worse by installing a 'fuse' (the speaker wire) that helped the fire burn the house before the fire department could arrive and 'save' it.

They do make fire-resistant covered speaker wire for these cases. But - I dont think this stuff is outdoor-rated. The sun would likely cook the insulation within a year in the Fresno sun.

Running the wire indoors along the base-board sounds better and better.

PS: Make sure to run 3 sets of wire to the rears for that rear-center speaker.