What's new

Rear speaker advice, please (1 Viewer)

Mike McHugh

Auditioning
Hello,

I'd like to buy my partner a pair of rear speakers for Christmas - it's the only component of his system that hasn't been upgraded recently. Can someone please give me some advice - I know nothing about this stuff. One store recommended Mission speakers at $500 (Canadian) - that seems like a lot to me, but am prepared to go that high if I have to ... His current set up includes a Toshiba 55" rear projection TV; Denon 3200 receiver; Sony 7700 DVD player; Mordaunt Short MS-906 front speakers, Mirage OM-C3 Centre speaker, Paradigm PS1000 subwoofer.

Thanks for any help.

Mike McHugh

John S

Senior HTF Member
he has a pretty nice system....

I would ask him in round about conversation, what he would like as an upgrade....

I only say this, because, I would only want that I have.

Gift certs for electronics retailers are always a hit with HT and audiphile guys have no doubt!!!

Mike McHugh

Auditioning
hmmm... asking takes away the surprise element, but you may be right ;-)

I don't think he has a strong preference one way or the other ... in the past he's relied on a mix of reviews and conversations with sales people at a high-end audio store he likes and trusts. However, when I asked them this time around they weren't terribly helpful, I'm afraid.

I've done a little bit or reading over the last couple of days, and have a question - can I go wrong if I get Mordaunt Short's which match his front speakers ?

Mike McHugh

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Just checked Audio Advisor, and it appears the no longer have Mordaunt Shorts. But still have some great speakers. I bought mine sound unheard and I am so pleased with them. John S. makes a good point, a gift certificate would go a long way. Make sure you check the fine print on the gift certificate because I learned that they lose their face value after 6 months or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks