Rear speaker advice, please

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Mike McHugh, Dec 4, 2003.

1. Mike McHugh

Mike McHugh Auditioning

Hello,

I'd like to buy my partner a pair of rear speakers for Christmas - it's the only component of his system that hasn't been upgraded recently. Can someone please give me some advice - I know nothing about this stuff. One store recommended Mission speakers at $500 (Canadian) - that seems like a lot to me, but am prepared to go that high if I have to ... His current set up includes a Toshiba 55" rear projection TV; Denon 3200 receiver; Sony 7700 DVD player; Mordaunt Short MS-906 front speakers, Mirage OM-C3 Centre speaker, Paradigm PS1000 subwoofer.

Thanks for any help.

Mike McHugh

2. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

If you goto Audio Advisor they sell Mordaunt Short speakers that might match his MS 906. Check 'em out.

3. John S

John S Producer

he has a pretty nice system....

I would ask him in round about conversation, what he would like as an upgrade....

I only say this, because, I would only want that I have.

Gift certs for electronics retailers are always a hit with HT and audiphile guys have no doubt!!!

4. Mike McHugh

Mike McHugh Auditioning

hmmm... asking takes away the surprise element, but you may be right ;-)

I don't think he has a strong preference one way or the other ... in the past he's relied on a mix of reviews and conversations with sales people at a high-end audio store he likes and trusts. However, when I asked them this time around they weren't terribly helpful, I'm afraid.

I've done a little bit or reading over the last couple of days, and have a question - can I go wrong if I get Mordaunt Short's which match his front speakers ?

Mike McHugh

5. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Just checked Audio Advisor, and it appears the no longer have Mordaunt Shorts. But still have some great speakers. I bought mine sound unheard and I am so pleased with them. John S. makes a good point, a gift certificate would go a long way. Make sure you check the fine print on the gift certificate because I learned that they lose their face value after 6 months or so.