What's new

Rear Spakers. Wrong Choice? (1 Viewer)

jaydow11

Auditioning
Real Name
Jay D
Hello, after reading through some of these posts I'm thinking that I may have jumped too quickly on a recent speaker purchase.

I currently have an Onkyo 801 recever, Athena S3 front towers with two P3 10'subs attached. Then for the rears I have the S2's, and C1 for the center.

I am completly satisified with this setup that I got a few years ago.

However, the two S2 rear speakers are a bit too big for our room.

Therefore, I went and bought two of the Bose Series IV Double Cube speakers to replace my two rear Athena's. :crazy:

I usually do a lot of reasearch before I make a purchase like this but for some reason I just went onto ebay and bought them right away!

Since they are only going to be used for Rear speakers I'm thinking that will probably be OK???

I'm gonig to assume that the sound will not be quite as good as the Athena's but how much worse are they actually going to be? I guess I'll find out when I actually get them!

The other thing is that I did a couple searchs and read that these speakers will hook up to any recever. However, after reading a couple posts on here some people said that they will only work with the Bose recever? TRUE?

Do they have some special hook up other than regular speaker wire terminals?

Thanks for the help!

Cheers,

Jay

chuckg

Supporting Actor
Blose doesn't build speakers...they build "squeakers" and let the sub do all the bass, mid bass, and low end of the middle frequency spectrum. The "squeakers" only do highs.

I think you will notice a profound difference between the Athenas and the Blose. Years ago, the surround channels were considered secondary, and did not need to be full-range in order to deliver the effect of surround sound. Today, those same rear speakers are often used for full-range audio, and they should match you fronts as nearly as practical.

jaydow11

Auditioning
Real Name
Jay D
Yea, after doing a bit more research I don't think the Bose Cube speakers will actually work. They need to be connected to the Bose system...

Therefore, I'm going to see if I can buy just two of the Athena Micro 5.1 set... Not sure if that's possible but I think they will be able to work better as they will give me the "full range" of sound as well as being quite a bit smaller than my P2's.

Cheers,

Jay

jaydow11

Auditioning
Real Name
Jay D
Thanks!

After doing a bit more research, I don't think I'll actually be able to use the Bose Cube's anyways. Seems as though they need to be hooked up to the Bose system.

Therefore, I think I'll try and find two of the Athena Micro speakers to use. That way they will give me the full range of sound and be quite a bit smaller than my P2's.

Not sure how easy it will be to find just two of these speakers as they are sold as a complete set....

Let the search begin I guess!!

Thanks,

Jay

Ennsio

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
You could also try the Athena LS-50s for your rear speakers, available at AudioAdvisor.

I don't know if they are the right size for what you are looking for, but they are smaller than regular bookshelf speakers. They're rear-vented though so you would need to have a bit of separation between them and the wall.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks