rear riser question

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Travis, May 9, 2006.

1. Travis

Travis Second Unit

I have just finished framing the rear stage and have a q before laying on the roofing felt and plywood. My front stage is filled with sand but I am wondering what to do with the rear. I have heard of filling it with R19 but am not sure how much. Does it need to be completely full or can I get away with just laying a roll along the bottom? The riser is 10" tall so I would prefer not to fill it to the top if it is not necessary.

Thanks,
    Travis

2. chris_everett

chris_everett Second Unit

The more you have in there the better. Ideally, stuffing it with something like mineral fiber insulation (or even more sand) would be best.

3. Travis

Travis Second Unit

Is it's purpose to cut down on the echo when you walk on it, or is there more to it?

To clarify, I mentioned rear stage, but it is the rear riser. I'm sure you already figured that out.

4. chris_everett

chris_everett Second Unit

There's more to it. If the platform is not dampened, it will vibrate at certain frequencies, screwing up the bass in your room. It can also make noise when that happens. Furthermore, the air inside it can vibrate as well at a paticuler frequency. In my riser I used the leftovers of mineral fiber insulation, and filled the rest with Fiberglass.

5. Travis

Travis Second Unit

Thanks Chris,

I will make sure it is sufficiently dampened.

6. David Noll

David Noll Stunt Coordinator

Travis,

My riser is two levels high. I stuffed mine with twice the regular amount of fiberglass insulation. No problems at all. Very quiet to walk on and no echo, boominess etc.

David

7. Travis

Travis Second Unit

I ended up picking up 2 rolls of R38 which should fill it nicely. Thanks for the replies.

Beautiful theater by the way.