What's new

Rear projection TV? (1 Viewer)

Dan*F

Grip
Hi Im intrested in getting a home theater and have been looking on ebay and see that used rptv's are pretty cheap are rptv's good what are the pros and cons. I was looking at like 55' ones.;)

Will.MA

Stunt Coordinator
Pros: Price/Value. Lots of connections for various video inputs. It's an affordable display around which to build a home entertainment system.

Cons: Size & Appearance. WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor). LOL.

I'd say go for it if you (and your significant other, if you have) can live with the drawbacks, have the space, and want to save a buck or two. Cheers.

andrew lewis

Agent
Rear projection tv's are a good bang for the buck. You get a big picture, for pretty cheap. They're pretty much all HD monitors now, as well as widescreen (does anyone make SD 4:3's???), so they will work great for DVD's as well as TV.

Downsides to rear projections don't really outweigh the upsides. They are big, heavy, and bulky. Not fun to move! Screen burn in poses a problem for anyone into video games or Spike TV. Aparently some manufactures make the screen shift a micrometer every few seconds...but I don't know if that is true or not. Convergence is never fun to deal with, but luckily most tv's have "Magic focus" or whatnot to solve MOST minor problems w/ their gun's allingment. Screen glare, and viewing angles are huge minuses in the RP line. Some screens help or worsen these areas, but most suck straight out of the box. And the number one problem w/ the RP's is the 3 bulbs. My suggestion for all RP owners is to sell your tv while it has some life left in it, and invest in something a little more reliable, lighter, and better performing...Slimline projection (DLP/LCD Projection)

Dan*F

Grip
I was looking into getting a used one since I dont have much money

Also whats the biggest tv new or used that you think I could get for around 400

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
At 400.00 you would probably get an older generation 4:3 model. That could mean not as bright as the newer models, your component video (if you even get one) would probably handle 480p and in some cases 480i only. So if you got 400, save at least another 500 and get a new lower end model like an Akai for around 900.00. Look out for January around Superbowl time, they will have some real good sales.

Will.MA

Stunt Coordinator

I don't know how much HDTV, even a small one, that you can secure with your budget. Perhaps a largish direct-view CRT with component inputs would be a better fit.

You don't want to get into a low-priced RPTV only to have to immediately shell out four hundred bucks again to get the bulbs replaced. Do your homework is what I suggest.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks