Rear projection TV size and advice needed

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Bowles, Nov 3, 2002.

1. Brian Bowles

Brian Bowles Second Unit

I was looking at rear projection televisions the other day at Best Buy. The guy there recommended the Mitusbishi over the Toshiba but said that both were good. What oppinons do you guys have on these and others.

Also, the room this would go in is 20x18 with 12 foot ceilings. It will be going on a very large wall and our couch is about 11-12 feet from the front of our current console that has a 27 inch television in it. Is a 65" television too big? What size do you recommend? Thanks so much for your time and oppinions.

2. Justin Gates

Justin Gates Agent

IMHO, 65" is perfect for a veiwing distance of 10 to 12 feet. But the choice is really up to you and your preferences. Go view one on display at that distance. Just remember when you first get a much larger television than what you currently own, it will appear mammoth. Then as you get used to watching it, it wont feel as large. I sit 8' from my 51" and am now wishing I went with the 57".

3. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

I agree with the 'shrinking' phenomenon. I sit 10 feet from a 60-inch, and wouldn't want anything smaller. The 60-inch seemed so large in the store, but once you're accustomed to it, it 'shrinks'.

4. DavidAM

DavidAM Second Unit

I'm 7 feet from my 56" and it was big at first, but I wouldn't want it any smaller now. I'd go with the 65".