What's new

Rear Projection Repair Blues (1 Viewer)

MikeSno

Grip
I have an RCA MM52110. It has been a very reliable monitor for about 15 mos. Has a great picture when combined with progressive scan dvd player and DTC 100. I have been waiting for 3 weeks on a tech to come out and do some service menu adjustments. My only complaint is a greenish tint very noticeable during darker scenes in programs like CSI and movies. I figure it is a gray scale problem. Tech has not been able to make it due to heavy snow. This week I turned on the unit and the picture was bent in the middle area and distorted. Also there is a red line on the left side. I tried to run an auto convergence and it would not run one with a message that there is possibly a sensor problem. This set is out of warranty 15 mos old. Am I in for a huge repair bill? No I did not buy the service contract.:frowning:
Mike

Kevin P

Screenwriter
The greenish tint is a grayscale problem, but your new problem sounds like your convergence board went out. Maybe if you're lucky the tech will find a blown fuse or bad solder joint, but otherwise it will probably be, wild guess, maybe $300 for a new board.

Have you tried unplugging the set for a while and see if it works properly again?

MikeSno

Grip
Yes I tried unplugging the set for about 5 minutes, no change. I just discovered that the set is normal (other than the gray scale problem) when I switch out of progressive modes. When I switch from component input on dvd to s video (non progressive) the picture looks normal. Same with VGA connection for high def. If I shut off the high def monitor and watch in non progressive mode the picture is normal. Problem is definitely related to progressive mode. This set does not have an internal line doubler. While watching high def or dvd combined with progressive scan the picture has a 3 inch thick vertical line on the left side and a thin vertical red line also on the left. Of course without a line doubler the picture is loaded with scanning lines. I hate watching it like this.

MikeSno

Grip
Good Call Kevin,
The repair shop said the set needs a digital convergence board and it will run in the $600 Range. I think I will retire this set to analog only. I might spend the $600 if I knew for sure I would have no more problems and the repair would fix the current problem. I dont think I will sink more into it. I think I will have them try to adjust the CRTS back to normal and use it for regular tv and games in the basement:frowning:

Thanks for your help

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks