Rear Projection or Front Projection

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Moritz, Mar 26, 2002.

1. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    What would be the best picture for the money? Performance and picture size? I am looking to replace my Toshiba 31" tv with a big screen. If I go front projection then I will most likely use a Stewert Film Screen. Please give me your input

2. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

If you have adequate light control, front projection will give you much better picture quality and size for the money.

Stewart Film makes some great screens. I just got one recently and the quality is incredible.

3. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

How does the Plus Piano compare and can you use these projectors with HDTV broadcasts?

4. Mike OConnell

Mike OConnell Second Unit

Mike
    Dave,

What is your budget and proposed FPTV screen size?

How far away from the screen will your viewing position be located?

Will your projector be ceiling mounted or on a table mounted?

Do you have a way to easily get the cable from the source to the projector? Do you have an outlet handy for the location of the projector?

How much light control do you have in the proposed viewing area?

Are you susceptible to DLP "rainbows" or going to be so close to a large viewing screen that LCD "screendoor" will impact your viewing pleasure? Or, maybe you are looking into a CRT projection system?

What are your video sources? HDTV, DVD (progressive or not?), OTA network, cable TV?

All the various FPTV projectors have their advantages and disadvantages regarding picture quality and the amount of tweaking they require for the best picture.

Are you a tweaker, or a set it and leave it alone person?

Some guidance along these lines and the HTF members can lead you down your best avenues of choice!

Mike