What's new

Rear projection or Front Projection (1 Viewer)

david kennedy

Stunt Coordinator
I have been trying to make a decision on how i want to update the ht. I was thinking about going with the rptv dlp's and lcd's. But then i started reading in the forums about front projectors. I have a room that has the space for them and i can keep the room pretty dark. So i was thinking that maybe a projector might be the way to go. I was looking at the the Sanyo z1 and z2 but since i am a novice to these projectors i was wondering is there a big differance between these 2. Also my price range is between 1,500 to 3,000 maybe a little higher. I will pretty much be looking at dvd,s. I know there other good projectors out there like the panny 300 and i know sharp has a few but the sanyo's had a nice price point and i read nice things about them. But would like to know what you guys think between fp's to rp's and what are some good projectors in the 15k to 30k price range.

Thomas Willard

Stunt Coordinator
I own the Panasonic PT-L300U and can recommend it or the Z2 or the soon to be available PT-L500U. Both the Z2 and the 500U have 720 resolution compared to 540 for the Z1 and 300.

You will need a dark room since both put out about 800 lumens. The image size is what makes front projectors the best way to go with home theater.

Both the Z2 and 500U will be within your price range. The Z2 is available now and the 500U I think will be available in January.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I would also suggest the Sony HS20 to be in your short list. Personally, I like the native 16x9 WXGA plus the contrast ratio and brightness looks good.

Gordon Groff

Second Unit
I was in the same boat less than a year ago. Went front projection and never looked back!

All the suggestions you got are good ones!

Gordon

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
View both DLP and LCD before you decide. They each have their advantages and disadvantages, and buying before at least seeing a few examples of each is not the best idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks